cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bsp2020
Challenger

JPEG decoding is broken with Catalyst driver

I just confirmed that installing Catalyst driver (Omega as well as older versions) breaks Windows Photo Viewer. Uninstalling the driver completely using amdcleanuputility.exe restores the Windows Photo Viewer functionality. With Catalyst driver installed, I can view 1 or 2 pictures then only black screen is displayed as shown below. I think it is related to JPEG decoding feature of Catalyst driver.

CatalystBug.png

My system spec : Kaveri A10 7850K with ASUS A88X-PRO running Win8.1 x64

SystemSpec.png

Where is the right place to report Catalyst bug?

0 Likes
1 Solution
jtrudeau
Staff

Latest update.

This is a known issue. The fix is not present in any available release, but now that it's fixed it should show up soon in an upcoming Catalyst beta.

WORKAROUND:

The workaround is "Rename amf-wic-jpeg-decoder32.dll and amf-wic-jpeg-decoder64.dll (directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia)".

It doesn't matter what you choose for a new name for the files.  What this will do is break the connection to the problematic files and the system will revert to the default Windows decoder.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

I was unable to reproduce the issue. I checked the same with latest omega catalyst driver on Windows 7 (64bit) and Windows 8.1(64bit). The Windows Photo Viewer seems working fine for both the cases.

Where is the right place to report Catalyst bug?

You may check following links.

Regards,

0 Likes

Dipak,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like not all JPEG pictures trigger the problem. I get this problem with most  of my pictures from my camera. However, if I open the picture in GIMP and export it as a JPEG file, the problem no longer happens. I attached couple of pictures that causes the problem on my PC. Could you try it on your machines?

http://1drv.ms/1vIjdlX

Try opening it by double clicking on the photo and click on the next button (>|) multiple times to move between the photos.

Thanks

0 Likes

Worked fine for both the images.

0 Likes

Dipak,

I posted on the Catalyst support forum. Hopefully, some one there can duplicate the problem.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

I can confirm this bug. Windows 8.1 Update 1 64-bit with Catalyst Omega and on a Lenovo Z50-75 notebook (FX-7500 + R7 M255).

I found that it is not really a matter of encoding. I entered a folder, miniatures loaded correctly. Then I changed the miniature size (view Extra Large icons) and it started erasing all the miniatures blank. If I opened an image, all combination of outcomes realized. Blank miniature and fine when opened, fine miniature but blank when opened, etc. Happins in both the old-school image preview and in the Metro version of image viewer.

I have not found any correlation in source of images (checked with images from 3 different cameras), various miniature and view sizes... totally random.

0 Likes
bsp2020
Challenger

I found some posts from other sites reporting the similar issue. Mobile Kaveri is in the house. - Page 5 - SemiAccurate Forums

No one has replied to my posting in the support forum. AMD Support and Game Forums - JPEG decoding is broken with Catalyst driver

Is there any other way to elevate this issue?

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

Although it is a seperate issue, I'll just post it here. I have gotten several BSOD in the past weeks when I close the lid of the notebook. I do not know what triggers the problem, neither have I caught the machine doing the memory dump to see what the message is, but it happens fairly often, let's say 30% of the times I leave the machine unattented with the lid closed. I work in my office with the lid closed and having the notebook hooked up to an external display, and it never happened this way. Only when I leave some low intensive operation running (such as download) and leave the machine to itself.

Edit: Found the error on BSOD: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (ETD.sys). I got the error right when I opened the closed lid of my notebook. ETD.sys is related to the driver of the touchpad, so it is not a graphics driver issue.

0 Likes
bonsaiscott
Journeyman III

I have the same problem as the original poster.  Most icons are OK, nearly every JPEG opened in the Windows Photo Viewer opens as all black.  Other applications (old paintshop pro etc.)open them correctly.

If I hit the right arrow to proceed to the next image at just the right frequency, I can see the initial low-res decodes, but as soon as I pause, the next image is displayed all black.

Athlon 5350 APU, 4GB, Windows 7 Pro SP1

How do I turn off the JPEG decode acceleration?

0 Likes

I had the same problem after installing the Catalyst Omega drivers recently on Win 7, x64, with an A8 7600 Kaveri. I did not have this problem with any prior version. Most programs would display JPEGs OK, but Windows Photo Viewer displayed almost every JPEG as just a black box.  Several images that were smaller (640 x 480) than my screen resolution seemed to display OK.  But everything else was black. 

When viewing images in Windows Explorer as "Large icons" they displayed properly.  But if I had "Extra Large Icons" selected (my default), they initially displayed OK, but then updated to black boxes as the images filled in with detail.  I did not test the other image sizes. Most folders had matching Sony RAW files (*.ARW) and those always displayed properly.

I uninstalled Omega and reinstalled 8.0.916.0 and the problem went away. 

Paint, Photo Gallery, I think Photo Pos displayed the images OK. 

0 Likes

I have completely removed the Omega drivers and re-installed the previous version.  All JPEG issues previously noted are gone.

0 Likes

Can anyone confirm that the 15.3 beta driver fixes this problem?  Can't see any mention of JEPG fix in the driver notes.

0 Likes

Still buggy. It will not be fun if it'll take another 3 months before a fix can be issued.

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff

All,

FYI: While some of you have this problem reliably, and I'm absolutely not denying it, our engineering team has not been able to reproduce this problem. I have passed a pointer to this thread to the product manager, and suggested that some of the attachments might help reproduce the issue. Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone who can create a reliable replicatable case, I'll buy you a beer.

0 Likes

I was able to reproduce it reliably using AMD A10-7850K and ASUS A88X-PRO with 16GB of memory and Windows 8.1. However, since then, I moved on to Windows 10 Technical Preview and it does not happen on Win 10. Have they tried that specific hardware?

0 Likes

Thanks Brian. I'll pass that to the team. I hope they confirm... in which case I owe you a beer.

0 Likes

Sorry to report, the QA team says it works fine. We have that precise system as part of the test environment. Worked fine.

Part of my role is to get reports like this into teams to verify. So if anyone has something you think is solidly replicatable, I'm game. Until then, I'll have to chalk it up to some sort of system setup issue, or localized gremlin. These are the worst kinds of bugs to hunt. This doesn't mean the problem is NOT in the driver (impossible to prove a negative) but if we can't replicate it, we can't fix it.

Jim

0 Likes

Did they have IOMMU enabled in BIOS? Also, which version of BIOS did they use? I think I had been using 1401 when I had the issues. Did they use the images I uploaded Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. ? Not all the images cause problems. In general, I had issues with the pictures I took with my phone. But images created from PC software were OK.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have the same issue on my Lenovo G50-45. JPEG images are randomly displayed as black pictures in Windows Photo Viewer and some thumbnails also are rendered totally black. Issue occurs with both Omega (14.12) driver and latest beta driver 15.3 Beta, also with SVM enabled or disabled in BIOS. Images are displayed correctly on non-OS based applications (Firefox, Nikon Capture NX-D).

Laptop specs:

AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 graphics

4 GB RAM

64-bit Window 8.1 with latest patches

Regards,

TK

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff

Latest update.

This is a known issue. The fix is not present in any available release, but now that it's fixed it should show up soon in an upcoming Catalyst beta.

WORKAROUND:

The workaround is "Rename amf-wic-jpeg-decoder32.dll and amf-wic-jpeg-decoder64.dll (directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia)".

It doesn't matter what you choose for a new name for the files.  What this will do is break the connection to the problematic files and the system will revert to the default Windows decoder.

Thank jtrudeau, it works like a charm

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for this workaround, it worked like a charm.

Will the next update overwrite these files or will I need to remember to change the name back?

0 Likes

It should just work. The installer includes the files, so new files should appear with the correct names. You will end up with "orphan" files, the ones you renamed. Since the name is changed, the installer won't clean them up.

Even if what I describe turns out to be incorrect for any reason, the system should still revert to the Windows default decoder. So unless you went digging you might never know.

0 Likes