Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

pszilard
Adept I

Re: Issues when switching to OpenCL 2.0

Jump to solution

Oh, that means I should lower my expectations... Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
nibal
Challenger

Jump to solution

pszilard wrote:

Oh, that means I should lower my expectations... Thanks anyway.

No, You should lower your expectations because of that Memory corruption in latest crimson driver 15.302?

0 Likes
pszilard
Adept I

Jump to solution

I don't know what the driver version you refer to is. For the platforms I care about 15.12 the most recent. Also, one broken driver version is bad, but not the end of the world. However, compiling CL1.2 code with the CL2.0 compiler and getting 30% performance drop is a can be a pretty big deal - especially if others have noticed similar regressions.

0 Likes
nibal
Challenger

Jump to solution

>> So, no more /tmp/headers...

> False. The code builds with -cl-std=CL1.2. If I pass -cl-std=CL2.0, includes are not found. Not OpenCL includes, but my own includes that should be picked up from

> the path passed to the OpenCL compiler via "-I/path/to/my/source/tree"

Oops. thought you were talking about gcc ocl headers...Have you tried passing "-I."?

>>Yes. You can double-check with clinfo. Version from-SDK 2.9.1 should be 700-1000 lower than SDK-3.0
> Not really. With APP SDK 3.0 I get lower driver version reported, 1800.8 here:

Not really. You are using mixed libraries and env. Driver libraries are under /usr/lib and are more uptodate than the SDK's

Having 2 SDK's active at the same time is a bad idea. Compounds on the confused libraries and env:(

You should clean your libraries and env, starting from /etc/profile.d/AMDSDK.sh. Comment out the library path in there.

BR,

Nikos

0 Likes
nibal
Challenger

Jump to solution

pszilard wrote:

I don't know what the driver version you refer to is. For the platforms I care about 15.12 the most recent. Also, one broken driver version is bad, but not the end of the world. However, compiling CL1.2 code with the CL2.0 compiler and getting 30% performance drop is a can be a pretty big deal - especially if others have noticed similar regressions.

Hmmm, you apparently didn't read the thread. I've found the same corruption back to every driver i could test, Catalyst 15.5. It's propably since the beginning:( You should upgrade to latest Crimson 15.302 (they have stopped numbering them like catalysts)

0 Likes
pszilard
Adept I

Jump to solution

> Not really. You are using mixed libraries and env. Driver libraries are under /usr/lib and are more uptodate than the SDK's

> Having 2 SDK's active at the same time is a bad idea. Compounds on the confused libraries and env:(

They are not "active" - whatever that means. I don't have the APPSDK_ROOT/lib/x86_64 in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, my binaries are compiled with RPATH, so there is nothing to mix here unless the libOpenCL.so loader somehow gets confused and loads APPSDK_ROOT/lib/x86_64/libamdocl64.so instead of the one installed by the driver in /usr/lib.

I can perhaps try to put a full path in the icd loader file.

0 Likes
pszilard
Adept I

Jump to solution

> Hmmm, you apparently didn't read the thread. I've found the same corruption back to every driver i could test, Catalyst 15.5. It's propably since the beginning:( You should upgrade to latest Crimson 15.302 (they have stopped numbering them like catalysts)

I still don't know where to get 15.302, nor whether it's new or old driver. In any case, I am seeing crashes, so I'm fine for now.

0 Likes
nibal
Challenger

Jump to solution

pszilard wrote:

> Not really. You are using mixed libraries and env. Driver libraries are under /usr/lib and are more uptodate than the SDK's

> Having 2 SDK's active at the same time is a bad idea. Compounds on the confused libraries and env:(

They are not "active" - whatever that means. I don't have the APPSDK_ROOT/lib/x86_64 in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, my binaries are compiled with RPATH, so there is nothing to mix here unless the libOpenCL.so loader somehow gets confused and loads APPSDK_ROOT/lib/x86_64/libamdocl64.so instead of the one installed by the driver in /usr/lib.

I can perhaps try to put a full path in the icd loader file.

Loader in Unix has to take the path from smw. Either your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or your /etc/ld.so.conf have it smw:)

0 Likes
pszilard
Adept I

Jump to solution

...or from the RPATH which is in the binary

$ objdump -x bin/gmx | grep RPATH

RPATH                /opt/tcbsys/amd/appsdk/3.0/lib/x86_64::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

0 Likes
pszilard
Adept I

Jump to solution

Can anybody from AMD comment on this? One of our users has just reported the first issue on our mailing list. Is the include processing/path broken in the OpenCL 2.0 compiler?

0 Likes