cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

haeseunl
Journeyman III

Is there any way to modify the OpenCL kernel during run-time?

Jump to solution

Hi.

I start to grabbing the OpenCL and I have a question.

Is there any way to modify the OpenCL kernel in assembler level during run-time?

I saw some posts that there is a few ways byusing llvm, but I couldn't get detail information & document.

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
realhet
Miniboss

Re: Is there any way to modify the OpenCL kernel during run-time?

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have a lot of time and really want to experience with assembly, then you can try my assembler thing -> http://realhet.wordpress.com/

You can write code in GCN asm language.

But there are some downsides though:

- This is the biggest negative issue: It's not compatible with current drivers. It works with Catalyst 13.4 and 12.10 and in between.

- You have to write the whole thing. Although you can copy assembly source from the kernel you're developing, the assembler is more or less compatible with the official disassembler.

- You have to learn how buffers are passed to the kernel. It's recommended to read through the whole Southern Islands ISA Manual.

- Don't afraid that this is windows only! If you have your kernel running, you can reuse it on Linux as well.

And please note, it's only a hobby project.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
dipak
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am unable to follow your question. Could you please be more explicit?

Regards,

0 Likes
haeseunl
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Let me ask a question in different way.

Can I do something during the compilation of .cl file? (i.e. instruction scheduling)

As far I know, when I use clCreateProgramWithBinary() function, I should provide binaries that I can get from the .cl file.

So, before I execute opencl application, I should compile my .cl file and give the kernel binary as a input.

What I want is when I create a binary from .cl file, do some assembler modification.

Is that possible?

Thank you.

0 Likes
dipak
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for this clarification. I've asked someone from compiler team and I'll get back to you as soon as I get any reply.

Regards,

dipak
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Hi,

As I got to know that it is not possible. Only way to access the compiler is through supported compiler flags.

Regards,

haeseunl
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

Let me ask one last question.

Is there any open-sourced llvm back-end for AMD GPU?

I can see several webpages that talk about the R600 back-end is integrated into llvm.

Can I use that to compile opencl application?

Where should I go to get more detail information for the R600 back-end?

Thank you.

Regards,

0 Likes
realhet
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have a lot of time and really want to experience with assembly, then you can try my assembler thing -> http://realhet.wordpress.com/

You can write code in GCN asm language.

But there are some downsides though:

- This is the biggest negative issue: It's not compatible with current drivers. It works with Catalyst 13.4 and 12.10 and in between.

- You have to write the whole thing. Although you can copy assembly source from the kernel you're developing, the assembler is more or less compatible with the official disassembler.

- You have to learn how buffers are passed to the kernel. It's recommended to read through the whole Southern Islands ISA Manual.

- Don't afraid that this is windows only! If you have your kernel running, you can reuse it on Linux as well.

And please note, it's only a hobby project.

View solution in original post

0 Likes