I have been trying to install the catalyst driver for last few days, but its harder than I was expecting:-(
I am giving you the detailed info thinking that it might be helpful to resolve the issue and also for others' benefit who might face the same issue.
We have following systems' :
ASUS A88X-Pro motherboard with Kaveri A10-7850K 95W APU
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M mother board with Trinity A10 5700 APU
HDD with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS OS
While upgrading to Kaveri APU, we had to update the catalyst driver because "clinfo" command was not working.
Here is how I installed the driver on Kaveri:
1) Downloaded the new driver (version 14.12) from the AMD website: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Ubuntu+x86+64
The download page has following 4 files (separate download was needed for each file from the above link):
Followed the instructions given at the Installer Notes on the above download page. Specifically, I followed the following steps.
2 Uninstalled the current driver
2.1: sudo dpkg -r fglrx-dev fglrx-amdaccle fglrx
2.2: sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
3. Ran this, but cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-8 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
but I din't see any difference even when I did not do the copy. In fact, the content of xorg.conf file was more meaningful than the xorg.conf.original-8 file. The content of xorg.conf.original-8 file is:
"NOXORGCOFEXISTED: No X.org configuration file existed when this backup was created."
4. Rebooted the system
After reboot, noticed that the desktop icons have become bigger and also the left-side menu bar of Ubuntu is also missing. So, I used cntrl+alt+t keys to open a terminal to continue the installation.
5. Installed three deb files (1.2 to 1.4) downloaded above. I also tried installing the first deb file (1.1, the one for 14.04 OS).
6. Ran: sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial
7. Ran: sudo clinfo
Did not see any GPU device
8. Restarted the system and ran "sudo clinfo". Still don't see the CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU on the Kaveri system
All drivers were/are still working fine on Trinity system, but not on Kaveri. Is there anything special we need to do on Kaveri APU to access the GPU device?
I will appreciate if someone can help me with resolving the issue.