Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

thesmith
Adept I

Installing APP SDK 3.0 on Xubuntu 14.10

Hi peeps,

I'm trying to get OpenCL to work on Xubuntu 14.10. I installed the AMD APP SDK 3.0 as per the instructions here. I can see the environment variables have been set correctly and I did log out and back in after.

So, when I try to run clinfo, I get this:

clinfo: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1: no version information available (required by clinfo)

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::Error'

what():  clGetPlatformIDs

I do not have the Catalyst driver installed as I don't have an AMD GPU. I'd like to run the code on the Athlon64 I have instead. I have another similar setup using an Intel CPU with HD graphics, and the APP SDK 2.9 works as intended.

Would any of you have a hint for me on what's missing to make it work?

Thanks!

0 Likes
7 Replies
ravkum
Staff

Have you installed the APP SDK as a normal user or root? If you have installed as a non-root user, you would need to run clinfo from bash shell.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I did install it as root.

I ended up installing fglrx even though I have no AMD graphics card. clinfo

now works; I get a listing for the CPU. I would however like to be able to

start over and not have fglrx installed.

0 Likes

We have to reproduce this issue in Xubuntu. It still looks path related issue to me, as when you install catalyst, that would place the OpenCL libs in global path and that takes precedence over the local OpenCL libs path installed by the APP SDK.

0 Likes

Alright, I can run some tests here if need be.

0 Likes

Okay, if you can get back to your setup with only APP SDK installed without the catalyst driver, then you could do the following tests:

1) Make sure AMDAPPSDKROOT is set correctly (to either /opt/AMDAPP*/ if installed as root or /home/AMDAPP*/ if installed as non-root user)

2) Make sure that LD_LIBRARY_PATH has the path containing liOpenCL.so ($AMDAPPSDKROOT/lib/x86_64/)

3) If not, try exporting both of them manually and then run clinfo.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Likes

Hi Ravi, I did check the environment variables, as said in my first post.

Uninstalling fglrx on my Xubuntu 14.10 x86_64 did not get me in the same state as before, as it's still working.

So I tried again on another setup, this time Lubuntu 14.04.1 x86. I get the error and the environment variables are properly set.

Have a look:

thesmith@pc:~/Downloads$ tar -xvjf AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0-0.113.50-Beta-linux32-1.tar.bz2

AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0-0.113.50-Beta-linux32.sh

thesmith@pc:~/Downloads$

thesmith@pc:~/Downloads$ sudo ./AMD-APP-SDK-v3.0-0.113.50-Beta-linux32.sh

[sudo] password for thesmith:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.

Uncompressing AMD APP SDK v3.0-0.113.50-Beta Self Installing script................................ (more dots)

Starting installation of AMD APP SDK v3.0-0-Beta

Retrieving Operating System details...

Detected OS Architecture: 32

Detected OS Distribution: Ubuntu

Detected OS Version: 14.04

Logged in user: root

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT LICENSE AGREEMENT

(Linux APP SDK Installer)

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY:  This is a legal agreement

("Agreement") between you and Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

... read licence here ...

Do you accept the licence (y/n)? y

AMD APP SDK v3.0-0-Beta will be installed for all users.

Enter the Installation directory. Press ENTER for choosing the default directory: [/opt]

You have chosen to install AMD APP SDK v3.0-0-Beta in directory: /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0-0-Beta

Installing to /opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0-0-Beta.

Rebuilding linker cache...

Exported LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0-0-Beta/lib/x86/ via /etc/profile.d/AMDAPPSDK.sh.

Exported OPENCL_VENDOR_PATH=/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0-0-Beta/etc/OpenCL/vendors/ via /etc/profile.d/AMDAPPSDK.sh.

Done updating Environment variables for root

Checking Internet connectivity. Please wait...

Installation Log file: /home/thesmith/AMDAPPSDK-3.0-0-Beta/InstallLog_03-31-2015T21-51-15.log

You will need to log back in/open another terminal for the environment variable updates to take effect.

thesmith@pc:~/Downloads$

Here I log out and log back in. Then:

thesmith@pc:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0-0-Beta/lib/x86/

thesmith@pc:~$ echo $AMDAPPSDKROOT

/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0-0-Beta

thesmith@pc:~$ clinfo

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::Error'

what():  clGetPlatformIDs

Aborted (core dumped)

thesmith@pc:~$

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for the detailed report. Just wanted to tell you that we are looking into it and will give you an update soon.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Likes