Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

amcintyre
Journeyman III

Installed CodeXL on Win8 appears to have broken Visual Studio 2012

Hi all,

I installed CodeXL today on a Windows 8 machine with Visual Studio 2012.  During the CodeXL installation, I was told some SQL component that needed to be modified was busy, and so I chose the "reboot when you're done" option.  After rebooting, Visual Studio has become extremely sluggish, frequently crashes, and Intellisense doesn't work at all.  (I assume that the SQL component in question was related to Intellisense.)

I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.  I think I'm going to remove/reinstall Visual Studio and just use CodeXL standalone for now.

Thanks!

Alan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Try changing the indentation setting  (Tools->Options->Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Tabs -> Indenting) from Smart to None.  See if that helps with the crashing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
alexvlx
Adept I

If you uninstall CodeXL and then perhaps do a VS repair it should be fine (IME it was). Also, it appears that forcing Intellisense to rebuild its database on project / solution load seems to solve most issues that occur after CodeXL install.

I deleted the Intellisense database for the project (as well as all the user settings files just in case), but VS continues to crash whenever Intellisense would normally provide feedback (such as typing code that causes a code completion suggestion).  Turning off Intellisense appears to make VS stable.

I'll try uninstalling CodeXL and doing a VS repair.

0 Likes

I had the same problem: after the installation of CODEXL, VS2012UP1 become very unstable, laggy, the intellisense is totally broken as is the compiler.

I'm trying now to fixing it repairing the update 1...

0 Likes

Try changing the indentation setting  (Tools->Options->Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Tabs -> Indenting) from Smart to None.  See if that helps with the crashing.

0 Likes

Alessio T ha scritto:

I had the same problem: after the installation of CODEXL, VS2012UP1 become very unstable, laggy, the intellisense is totally broken as is the compiler.

I'm trying now to fixing it repairing the update 1...

Ok, my bad for the broken compiler, it was caused from other things not related to CodeXL.

However the crashes and the laggy behaviour is still caused from the CodeXL extension (I've tried on different clean machines)

bpurnomo ha scritto:

Thank you, I will try it as soon as possible.

0 Likes
tjizep
Journeyman III

This is how I fixed the problem after uninstalling CodeXL

The side effects of this fix is that your previously loaded project history and any editor customizations will be lost - changes to include/lib and executable directories will remain .

Close Visual Studio 2012 (a.k.a. Visual Studio 11) and make sure any VS processes hanging around is killed or just reboot

Open regedit (Win+R and then type regedit)

Find  HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/VisualStudio and delete both 11.0 and 11.0_Config entries

Open Visual Studio again this will reconfigure to defaults

0 Likes