Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

oviang
Journeyman III

Installation Issue

installation

Hi there,

I keep receiving the message "Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.145 

There was an error opening the device 0." for the samples found in C:\Program Files\AMD\AMD CAL 1.3.0_beta\bin\xp32 folder.

I have Radeon X1900 on a 32bit XP Professional. I downloaded and installed the latest Catalyst Center and SDK 1.3.0.

I did the same installation steps on another machine with an HD4x00 card and everything was fine on that one.

What can I try?

Thank you.

Regards,

Ovidiu

0 Likes
15 Replies

oviang,
Sorry, but the CAL SDK does not support the X1900 graphics card. Only the X2000 or higher radeon's are supported.
0 Likes

Good to know.

Thanks,

Ovidiu

0 Likes

http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/requirements.html#cards

0 Likes

I am getting the same error, and my Firestream 9250 is on the list of supported cards.

For example, when I run the program basic in amdcal/bin/lnx64, it outputs:

Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.145
Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.145
There was an error opening the device 0.
Error string is Parameter passed in is invalid

The other programs in that directory all produce similar output (along with other text usually).

My system is:
2x Xeon DP Quad Core E5440 2.83Ghz 
ATI Firestream 9250.
Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 
gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)

Is there something else about my system that isn't supported? I hope not.

Thanks for your help. 

0 Likes

Originally posted by: rmjarvis I am getting the same error, and my Firestream 9250 is on the list of supported cards. For example, when I run the program basic in amdcal/bin/lnx64, it outputs: Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.145 Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.145 There was an error opening the device 0. Error string is Parameter passed in is invalid The other programs in that directory all produce similar output (along with other text usually). My system is: 2x Xeon DP Quad Core E5440 2.83Ghz  ATI Firestream 9250. Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5  gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42) Is there something else about my system that isn't supported? I hope not. Thanks for your help. 

Did you try running sudo aticonfig --initial -f and restarting X11? Also, are you running over ssh or locally?

0 Likes

Are you running remotely? Does it work locally?

If it does not work locally, it is almost certainly a case of improper driver/CAL installation.

Try rick.weber's suggestion. If that does not work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and CAL.

0 Likes

I tried doing aticonfig as suggested, and that did not help.

I am logged in remotely using ssh -X.  The machine is rack-mounted in the basement, so logging in directly is not a good long-term solution.  My sysadmin said he tried running the CAL programs when logged in locally, and they worked.

So do you have any suggestions for getting it to work with remote connections?

0 Likes

Hi rmjarvis,

Since it works for you locally under X, then you at least have a working ATI Stream system and just need to enable remote access ability.

Take a look at this post: http://forums.amd.com/devforum...id=328&threadid=98907

Main 3 things you want to make sure are:
- Disable access control to X server (add -ac to Xorg command line)
- Make sure you have DISPLAY set to :0.0 when logged in remotely
- Make sure /dev/drc/card* has permissions enabled (read/write) for all users.

For point #1, you'll want to do that in the gdm config files.

For point #2, you'll probably want to add it in /etc/bashrc or similar.

For point #3, you'll want to do that in the gdm init scripts.

I'm working on putting together a cleaner app note to detail this more clearly for RHEL and SLES.

Michael.
0 Likes

Thanks Michael.  That fixed the problem.  🙂

However, there was one slight subtlety that wasn't in your post (either here or the link).  It is probably the kind of thing that is obvious to you, but wasn't to me.

And that is that you can't use ssh -X.  You have to use regular ssh.  So it might be worth adding that point to the app note you said you were writing.

If you are interested, my sysadmin blogged about the effort here.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Likes

Can an ATI Stream system work correctly without any X server? I've installed one to make kernel driver module compilation (without X it simply doesn't compile), but i do NOT plan to have a X installation on the machine with ATI card. 

Besides, CUDA Runtime doesn't require any X installed neither to compile/install nor for running CUDA programs. 

0 Likes

Can an ATI Stream system work correctly without any X server? 

At present no.

0 Likes

Could you please be more specific?

Additionally:

1. It looks like CAL are build on top of OpenGL or AMD programmers start from OpenGL driver and disable all unnecessary functionality?

2. Are il_ps kernels allows one to write to several output buffers (several render targets in graphic API  terms)?

3. Is it possible to introduce one very useful constants in il_ps - xstep, ystep, zstep which basically defines difference between corresponding neighbour pixels in normalized coordinate system? One can compute this constant in host code and pass them to kernel, however it will be nice to have this constants build-in.

0 Likes

And one more enquery:

Assuming that one have multi-GPU configuration it will be nice to know which adapters are actually idle and which are occupied by DirecX, OpenGL, OpenCL etc. (however the main reason is to find which adapter are current system rendering device).

Therefore is it possible to add corresponding flag to CALdeviceattribs structure?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: omkaranathan
Can an ATI Stream system work correctly without any X server? 

At present no.

Do you plan to make it work without X in the future? I think it's worthwhile, don't you?

0 Likes

We do have plans to make it work in near future.

0 Likes