cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

Increase GPR usage with new SDK and Driver?

Ryta,
Yeah we see this internally. We are still looking into the root cause of why it is occurring, but since there are a lot of components that changed between 2.1 and 2.2 so it might take us a little bit to figure out exactly what change, or series of changes, caused this to occur.
0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Ryta, Yeah we see this internally. We are still looking into the root cause of why it is occurring, but since there are a lot of components that changed between 2.1 and 2.2 so it might take us a little bit to figure out exactly what change, or series of changes, caused this to occur.

Micah,

Ok, thanks again for confirming this, appreciate it.

0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Ryta, Yeah we see this internally. We are still looking into the root cause of why it is occurring, but since there are a lot of components that changed between 2.1 and 2.2 so it might take us a little bit to figure out exactly what change, or series of changes, caused this to occur.

Sorry, so is this an SDK issue or a driver issue? I was just wondering if this might be fixable in 10.8 or 10.9 or will we have to wait for a new SDK version?

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

It is an issue with the CAL compiler which is shipped with the driver.
0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Micah,

Ok I thought this,  unfortunately 10.5 wouldn't work with 2.2 so I had to roll back to 2.1. This sucks because now I'm back to being limited to smaller data sizes it seems.

0 Likes
davibu
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: Jawed Are you using the update version of 10.7?

update driver

Just for the record, this version of the drivers crash the Xserver as soon as I start an OpenCL application (Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit, 5870+5850). May be something related to multi-gpus ?

Multi-GPUs support seems to work really bad with standard Catalyst 10.7 since the introduction of SDK 2.2. I obtain the same performance with 1 or 2 GPU.

0 Likes
davibu
Journeyman III

Here the backtrace of the Xserver crash:

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x28) [0x4a3258]
1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x655bd) [0x4655bd]
2: /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f9e00f81000+0xf8f0) [0x7f9e00f908f0]
3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so (0x7f9dfd6f2000+0x2af584) [0x7f9dfd9a1584]
4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so (0x7f9dfd6f2000+0x2ad843) [0x7f9dfd99f843]
5: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x30c3c) [0x430c3c]
6: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x261aa) [0x4261aa]
7: /lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xfd) [0x7f9dffc78c4d]
8: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x25d59) [0x425d59]
Segmentation fault at address 0x8

Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

0 Likes
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

well, all that i know is that my ALUBusy % drop from 100% to 56% for a kernel of mine, with no changes, even in comments, if you see what i mean. this is really bizzard, not to metion that my kernel run slower now! i can't tell about the GPRs coz the sdk 2.1 profiler doesn't show this information in visual 2008 (i've got the pro version). how can i check the GPRs with the sdk 2.1? all that i have is a 50 GPRs with the new sdk 2.2 's profiler.

one more stuff, the transfer RAM<->VRAM is slower with the sdk 2.2 compared to the version 2.1, something like 20% slower (both senses).

ps: my card is a hd5770

0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: laobrasuca well, all that i know is that my ALUBusy % drop from 100% to 56% for a kernel of mine, with no changes, even in comments, if you see what i mean. this is really bizzard, not to metion that my kernel run slower now! i can't tell about the GPRs coz the sdk 2.1 profiler doesn't show this information in visual 2008 (i've got the pro version). how can i check the GPRs with the sdk 2.1? all that i have is a 50 GPRs with the new sdk 2.2 's profiler.

one more stuff, the transfer RAM<->VRAM is slower with the sdk 2.2 compared to the version 2.1, something like 20% slower (both senses).

ps: my card is a hd5770

I also have VS2008, check your profiler settings.

If not then you can just dump the ISA and look at the bottom of that file. Or you can use the SKA to check the GPR, just make sure if you use the SKA that you are using the same version (for 2.1, the SKA that uses Catalyst 10.3 and for 2.2 the SKA that uses Catalyst 10.7)

0 Likes