Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

landlord
Adept I

I don't konw if my laptop support OpenCL 2.0 or not

the HW is : A10-7400P + Radeon R9 m270X

the OS is :Windows 8.1 64bit

I have downloaded the opencl 2.0 driver and it says that the driver is compatible with AMD graphics products based on GCN 1.1 Architecture or higher. But i  don't know the architecture of my graphics products.

Please help,thanks a lot

0 Likes
44 Replies

it seems strange to me that after the installation the platform seems to support OpenCL 2.0 and the GPU does not.

Please don't confuse "Device OpenCL C version" with "Platform Version". I already explained the point on an earlier post. I'm mentioning the same once again here.

AMD has started to support OpenCL 2.0 from 14.12 Omega driver. If you install Omega or higher drivers, you'll get "Platform Version"  as OpenCL 2.0. But, the devices associated with the platform may have different OpenCL support. Each device has its own OpenCL support and you can get that information from "Device OpenCL C version" parameter. The program or application that can be run on the device depends on that particular device's OpenCL version.

I'm also not sure why clinfo is not recognizing the HD 8970M card as OpenCL 2.0 device. I'll check with some folks in this regard. Meanwhile, could you please try following steps and share your observations? Just want to verify those information with clinfo output.

1) Run CodeXL or GPU-Z and check the system information (specially the GPU device). [From CodeXL: Select "Tools"-->"System Information" -->"Save"]

2) Try to run any OpenCL 2.0 sample and see the error, if any.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thank you for explaining it here. Sorry, I misunderstood and made confusion between Platform and Device version.

I didn't save all the CodeXL info on a .txt file cause it was not correctly formatted, so here there is the resume by pics. One thing that I noticed is that CodeXL info recognizes that the system is x86, while right-clicking on the computer properties the machine is recognized as a 64-bit system.

Could this post (Re: Can't get any opencl 2.0 samples run from the latest 3.0 SDK.) give the same answer to me, that my card is yes an HD8970M but a former one, so based on Pitcairn chip that does not support OpenCL 2.0 (so GCN 1.0)?

I could not run any OpenCL 2.0 sample since all are provided for Windows8+VS2013, and actually I've got Windows7+VS2010.

CodeXL_OpenCL_Platforms.jpgCodeXL_OpenGL_Renderer.jpgCodeXL_System_info.jpgSystem_Property.jpgCodeXL_OpenCL_Devices_1.jpgCodeXL_OpenCL_Devices_2.jpgCodeXL_OpenCL_Devices_3.jpg

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing the snaps. So, CodeXL information is similar as clinfo output.

Could this post (Re: Can't get any opencl 2.0 samples run from the latest 3.0 SDK.) give the same answer to me, that my card is yes an HD8970M but a former one, so based on Pitcairn chip that does not support OpenCL 2.0 (so GCN 1.0)?

May be. However, I'm not sure. I haven't got any confirmation yet. I'm still hunting for the answer.

I could not run any OpenCL 2.0 sample since all are provided for Windows8+VS2013, and actually I've got Windows7+VS2010.

Almost all the OpenCL samples in APP SDK 3.0 beta have VS12/13 project file as well as VS10. I don't think Windows version is any issue here. You should be able to build and run them on Windows 7. Anyway, just to run any sample, you may use the pre-compiled binaries come with the APP SDK (under <base folder>->samples->opencl->bin).

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi dipak​, sorry for the delay but I got off from work for some days.

I've tried running one of the samples, but it does not work. The answer is showed in the pic.

Do you have news about the Pitcairn chipset on the HD8970M and about the problems installing OpenCL 2.0?Device_Enqueue_sample.jpg

0 Likes

Hi binghy​,

Sorry, I don't have any useful information right now . As soon as I get any, I'll share with you.

As per your current clinfo output, the GPU is not an OpenCL 2.0 enabled device, so, any OpenCL 2.0 samples will fail to run on that device.

Regards,

0 Likes