Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

hsa kernel driver and radeon module

Hello,

1- I am about to install hsa enabled kernel from the github. I noticed something.

The HSA kernel driver ("radeon-kfd"), which works with the radeon graphics driver.

I am currently using the fglrx module for running OpenCL apps etc. if I remove it and enable 'radeon' module, what will happen to my capability of running OpenCL apps?

2- I saw a thread here in which the poster was saying he is running opencl kernel in hsa mode. Can one run existing OpenCL programs in HSA mode?

3- Where can I find the sample HSA program sources?

0 Likes
1 Solution
bsp2020
Challenger

1- I am about to install hsa enabled kernel from the github. I noticed something.

AMD has not released OpenCL runtime  that works with HSA yet (The right forum to discuss HSA issues?).

However, they have released offline cl compiler which will compile OCL kernel to HSAIL (HSAFoundation/CLOC · GitHub). I have not tried it myself. So, I don't know how well it works or how practical it is to use it with real OCL applications.

The HSA application I was able to get working are APARAPI (SettingUpLinuxHSAMachineForAparapi - aparapi - How to setup a Linux HSA machine for testing HSA enab...) and C++AMP (multicoreware / cppamp-driver-ng / wiki / Home — Bitbucket). There is also OpenMP ([gcc] Contents of /branches/hsa/gcc/README.hsa) but I have not tried it yet.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
bsp2020
Challenger

AMD has not released OpenCL runtime  that works with HSA yet (The right forum to discuss HSA issues?).

However, they have released offline cl compiler which will compile OCL kernel to HSAIL (HSAFoundation/CLOC · GitHub). I have not tried it myself. So, I don't know how well it works or how practical it is to use it with real OCL applications.

The HSA application I was able to get working are APARAPI (SettingUpLinuxHSAMachineForAparapi - aparapi - How to setup a Linux HSA machine for testing HSA enab...) and C++AMP (multicoreware / cppamp-driver-ng / wiki / Home — Bitbucket). There is also OpenMP ([gcc] Contents of /branches/hsa/gcc/README.hsa) but I have not tried it yet.

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff

As bsp2020 said, we have not yet released an OpenCL runtime which works over the HSA stack. Short term focus is on enabling new languages & interfaces, eg. Java, C++ AMP, OpenMP.

Do you have an ETA for the OpenCL runtime working over the HSA stack?

0 Likes

That is quite interesting. So Catalyst driver will cease to function once HSA code is included by default in the Linux kernel...hmm...

0 Likes

>>>>As bsp2020 said, we have not yet released an OpenCL runtime which works over the HSA stack. Short term focus is on enabling new languages & interfaces, eg. Java, C++ AMP, OpenMP

>>That is quite interesting. So Catalyst driver will cease to function once HSA code is included by default in the Linux kernel...hmm...

The Catalyst driver will keep functioning, no problem there -- it's just that OpenCL will continue to run over the Catalyst kernel driver code path rather than going through the HSA path unless/until we include an OpenCL backend for HSA.

0 Likes

What I meant was that OpenCL will stop working, because currently it is not supported. Sorry for being unclear.

0 Likes

Don't think I understand the point you are trying to make. OpenCL won't stop working at any point.

0 Likes

Currently, AMD Catalyst driver for Linux does not work with HSA enabled kernel. I think yurtesen is saying that once HSA enabled kernel start shipping in major distribution, AMd OpenCL, which currently only works with Catalyst driver, will not work.

I think AMD is working on AMDGPU interface to solve this issue. But it would be good to hear it explicitly from AMD insider.

0 Likes

bsp2020 wrote:

Currently, AMD Catalyst driver for Linux does not work with HSA enabled kernel. I think yurtesen is saying that once HSA enabled kernel start shipping in major distribution, AMd OpenCL, which currently only works with Catalyst driver, will not work.

I think AMD is working on AMDGPU interface to solve this issue. But it would be good to hear it explicitly from AMD insider.

Your first statement is not quite right. The AMD Catalyst driver for LInux does not MAKE USE OF an HSA-enabled kernel, but it does WORK WITH an HSA-enabled kernel (or at least a kernel which was HSA-enabled before installing the Catalyst driver). Installing the Linux Catalyst driver blacklists the "radeon" kernel graphics driver since you can't have two kernel drivers installed for the same piece of hardware.

Blacklisting the radeon kernel graphics driver also disables the "amdkfd" kernel HSA driver as a side-effect, so you can't have Catalyst OpenCL and HSA at the same time yet, but the arrival of HSA support in upstream kernels will emphatically NOT cause the Linux Catalyst driver to stop working.

0 Likes

I found this https://twitter.com/AMDHSA/status/541016163799793664

It says that OCL2.0 in SDK3.0 will support optional fine-grained SVM on Linux APU.

I heard rumors that OCL2.0 driver will be released tomorrow. I'm anxiously waiting...

0 Likes