cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

markswanson
Adept II

How to get OpenCL 1.2 on Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64?

I've found some conflicting information.

It seems OpenCL 1.2 is only possible on Ubuntu 14.04 (and you must downgrade the Linux kernel to 3.19):

Recommended Open CL SDK for use with AMDGPU-PRO on Linux?

Also, some AMD support folks recommend installing APP SDK 3.0, but other AMD support folks say that this is deprecated / incompatible with the newer amgdpu-pro drivers:

Possible bug in AMD App SDK 3.0 install script?

I'm trying various combinations, but I think the motherboard I'm using won't work because it provides an Intel graphics chip (i915) and doesn't provide any way to  disable it - and there seems to be a weird conflict with X11/RX 580/i915. I tried blacklisting the i915, but X11 still seems to find it (via fbdev iirc).

So I've ordered a new motherboard and Ryzen CPU. When I get it, should I be able to use OpenCL += 1.2 with Ubuntu 16.04 or should I downgrade to 14.04? (and downgrade the kernel to 3.19?)

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
dipak
Big Boss

APPSDK is no longer compatible with the amdgpu-pro, so you should not install appsdk with this driver.

There is no conflicting information on those threads that you mentioned. Amdgpu-pro does not support SI cards, so, APPSDK with older graphics driver was suggested on this thread Recommended Open CL SDK for use with AMDGPU-PRO on Linux? .

Rx580 is supported by the latest amdgpu-pro, so no need to downgrade in your case.

View solution in original post

11 Replies