Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

zhangy
Journeyman III

How to create a light in fireray

hi:

I just downloaded fireray sdk. It seems only able to create mesh. How could i create a light , like a sun light, omni light...etc

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
dmitryk
Staff

Hi zhangy,

FireRays doesn't have any functions to create lights. It is low-level library for hit testing, so it basically operates on geometry and executes ray casts against the geometry you passed in. The sample app which comes with SDK is just a basic example of how to implement GPU path tracer using FireRays library and  cannot be considered fully functional renderer (it only supports image based lighting at the moment). So FireRays is suitable for you if you plan to implement all lighting and shading logic yourself using OpenCL or C++. If you are interested in complete API with advanced shading and lighting support you can refer to FireRenderSDK instead: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/firepro-sdk/amd-firerender-technology/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Welcome! I have whitelisted you and moved this into the FirePro developer forum.

0 Likes
dmitryk
Staff

Hi zhangy,

FireRays doesn't have any functions to create lights. It is low-level library for hit testing, so it basically operates on geometry and executes ray casts against the geometry you passed in. The sample app which comes with SDK is just a basic example of how to implement GPU path tracer using FireRays library and  cannot be considered fully functional renderer (it only supports image based lighting at the moment). So FireRays is suitable for you if you plan to implement all lighting and shading logic yourself using OpenCL or C++. If you are interested in complete API with advanced shading and lighting support you can refer to FireRenderSDK instead: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/firepro-sdk/amd-firerender-technology/

0 Likes

hi Dmitry:

thanks for reply my question. As you suggested we download the firerender sdk and trying to get the tutorial sample working.

It seem the first advanced render sample always return a black image. Do you know how to correct this? we tried on 2 machines all have returned black image.

Also , will firerender consider Gradient-Domain Path Tracing this optimization feature?

thanks.

0 Likes

Hi zhangy,

Thanks for reporting the issue. The issue is if instancing is used the parent mesh should be also added to the scene otherwise the scene is considered empty. We will release a fix shortly. In the meantime, to work around that please insert the following two lines to add parent sphere mesh into the scene after it has been created:

status = frSceneAttachShape(scene, sphere);

assert(status == FR_SUCCESS);

This should fix the problem and produce correct render.

-Dmitry

0 Likes