cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

notzed
Challenger

HD7970 + linux: CL_OUT_OF_HOST_MEM

I'm having a problem with a recently acquired HD7970 in a linux machine: quite often, usually after a few (non-opencl) applications have run, but other times right off the bat.  The problem is that no OpenCL programmes will run against the GPU: they all fail when calling clCreateCommandQueue with an error CL_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY.

Simple samples like 'Reduction' also fail in the same way.  The machine has a 64 bit intel cpu & 12gb ram and all the software i'm using is 64-bit: it is not short on free ram.  The system has been crashing a lot so it's usually a fairly recent reboot with not much running.  I'm not using any GL-compositing desktop, just plain X.

Rebooting, or even just restarting the X server seems to fix it (usually).

I only recently upgraded to 12.4, previously with a HD 6950 I didn't see this problem unless a few CL applications were active.

driver version: 8.961

I didn't see the problem when I swapped the card with a HD6950 with this driver, at least while I had it there a day or so.

0 Likes
5 Replies
arsenm
Adept III

I have also been having this problem

0 Likes

FWIW The 12.6 beta is looking  a lot better so far.

Haven't had any out of host mem errors, and even xinerama is fast again on both screens.

0 Likes

Thanks for reporting this issue. I'll pass it along to the right people.

0 Likes

Thanks Kristen.

I just noticed another problem with 12.6 - somecode i'm fairly confident is ok and i had working on 12.4 and earlier now doesn't work on 12.6 beta ... although if i add a bunch of clFinish() calls it works ok.  It's all using a single queue.

I seem to have narrowed it down to a bit of code that uses a global atomic int32 in multiple calls of the same kernel.  If I call clFinish() after invoking this kernel every time then it works, otherwise it crashes and brings down the system.  I don't have a small test-case, but it is in public (java) code.

http://code.google.com/p/socles/source/browse/trunk/socles/src/au/notzed/socle/feature/surf/FastHess...

Should I be using the problem reporting form?http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EAC

I had a look at it, but it doesn't look very developer-oriented.

0 Likes

Yes, please use the AMD issue reporting form that you linked to above.

I'll double check with Support just to be 100% sure that feedback submitted via this form will get to the Catalyst developers.

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes