Thanks for the information!

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes
twisted_pi
Journeyman III

HD6970/6990 question

Micach

I fixed my problem, I found what is different in 5970/6990. I used 1 UAV to communicate on same range of data, for better explanation:

offset 0-1000 was data, I read it and store too at this range. This is logical and works, but somehow not works on 6990, if U use write out of that range then works.

I had today strange driver crash, my PC was suspended, after wake-up(windows 7 32bit) mouse pointer was destroyed and system freeze and do reboot. From this point I cant run win7 in normal mode. After remove drivers(must use any wipe sw, because uninstalling not works at emergency more) I cant install 10.3 drivers(I had 10.4b), installer say that I must have compatible hardware(I thought that my card is damaged).  After remove some files manually, I succesfully installed 10.3. Now I'm not 100% sure if is some differences in 5970/6990 or it was something with 10.4b driver. Anyway after finish important job I'll repeat test to confirm it.

0 Likes
corry
Adept III

HD6970/6990 question

Micah,

I know this is an old thread, and I hate reviving old threads, in this case it seemed appropriate.

I just wanted to make sure information about the UAV caching hasn't fallen iff your radar.  I have the IL 2.0 spec, not sure if that is current, or was current as of this topics posting, but there is nothing in it about uav 11 being cached, nor all others not being cached.

So for my own information, let me get this 100% straight. 

If I use uav's in my code, anywhere at all, and I use dcl_uav(number) and number is not 11, I will not see the benefit of caching, however, the single uav that uses 11 *will* see the benefit of caching.  Do I have it right?

Thanks

Corry

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

HD6970/6990 question

Caching for UAV11 has been in the SDK since 2.4 for very basic scenarios and has been improved in SDK 2.5.

Basically if you mark a pointer as restrict, or const restrict, you will get caching on loads.
As for IL, CAL only supports caching to UAV 11.
0 Likes
corry
Adept III

HD6970/6990 question

Ok, at least I have it correct now, but I just did a search through my il 2.0e document for 11.  I didn't try b for hex 11, but I found nothing in the IL docs about UAV 11.  I also checked my cal Dec 2010 rev 2.03 for mention, of that, and found nothing.  Thus, the comment, I wanted to see if this was still on your radar for documentation.  (amounst other concerns of course)

Thanks

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

HD6970/6990 question

corry,
Because the CAL/IL interface has been deprecated, I do not know if the documentation will get updated.
0 Likes
corry
Adept III

HD6970/6990 question

Oh!  I know CAL was, but I didn't realize that IL wasn't going to be published anymore as well.  😕  I figured they were still going to give us code "hackers" willing to patch OpenCL binaries half-hearted support 🙂

0 Likes