Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Gunter
Journeyman III

Graphics adapters from different manufacturers

Hi,

is it possible to use an HD 6990 for GPGPU applications, while at the same time the display is driven by an (on-board) graphics system from a different vendor? The on-board graphics chip is connected to the south bridge via PCI.

We want to use Windows 7, driver 11.8 and SDK 2.3.

Also, I have found that apparently a monitor must still be attached to the 6990 in order to make it work. For a rack-mounted server with multiple 6990s that's very impractical. Can someone from AMD give an authoritative statement about this issue?

Thx

0 Likes
2 Replies
twentz
Journeyman III

I had a semi-similar situation with an APU and a discrete GPU -- at first, only 1 was being detected, but then after I had monitors attached to both, Windows installed the driver for the one it didn't previously -- and I am now able to use both regardless of if there's a monitor attached.

Are you sure the device is inaccessible after you detach the monitor?

0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: Gunter Hi,

is it possible to use an HD 6990 for GPGPU applications, while at the same time the display is driven by an (on-board) graphics system from a different vendor? The on-board graphics chip is connected to the south bridge via PCI.

We want to use Windows 7, driver 11.8 and SDK 2.3.

Also, I have found that apparently a monitor must still be attached to the 6990 in order to make it work. For a rack-mounted server with multiple 6990s that's very impractical. Can someone from AMD give an authoritative statement about this issue?

Thx

headless GPU should work with latest driver and SDK2.5.

0 Likes