cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ufimtsev
Journeyman III

GPU temperature

What is the safe temperature for Radeon 6970? When I run one of our OpenCL programs, my GPU-Z reports

GPU Temp: 97C, 

GPU Temp #1: 97C, 

GPU Temp #2: 110C, 

GPU Temp #3: 102C,

and the fan speed is around 60% (3700 RPM).

Is it something normal or am I pushing too much?

Thanks!

0 Likes
9 Replies
antzrhere
Adept III

Do you get the same readings from AMD Overdrive tab in Catalyst control panel? I would assume at 110C the GPU would have the fan at 100%, surely? These seem to be unrealistically high. If these temps are correct you are in trouble.

0 Likes

Hi antzrhere,

I have a bunch of GPUs sitting right next to each other and maybe this is a reason why they get that hot. I couldn't find the tab in my Catalyst so I downloaded AMD Overdrive instead. Bad news is that it crashed my win7 and I had to recover. Not sure why it happened, maybe because I use Nvidia cards for display... My primary question is how long it takes to fry a 6970 or a similar card under full load. I'll run the test and post here if find anything interesting.

0 Likes

Organize good ventilation, between the video cards insert matches to create the minimum gap, you can remove the rear plate(so you get an additional gap), screw substitute any (non-conductive) washers for clamping (to compensate for the removal of the plate) and if you do bitcoin, reduce the memory frequency up to 300 ~ 350MHz...

You are Russian? Then read transliteration

Organizuite horoshuyu ventilyatsiyu, mezhdu vidyeokartami vstavte spichki dlya sozdaniya minimalnogo zazora, mozhno snyat zadnie plastiny(tak vy poluchite dopolnitelnyi zazor), pod vinty podstavit lyubye (tokoneprovodyashchie) shaiby dlya obespecheniya prizhima(kompensirovat snyatie plastiny)  i yesli zanimaetes bitkoin, umenshite chastotu pamyati do 300~350MHz

0 Likes

Originally posted by: ufimtsev Hi antzrhere,

I have a bunch of GPUs sitting right next to each other and maybe this is a reason why they get that hot. I couldn't find the tab in my Catalyst so I downloaded AMD Overdrive instead. Bad news is that it crashed my win7 and I had to recover. Not sure why it happened, maybe because I use Nvidia cards for display... My primary question is how long it takes to fry a 6970 or a similar card under full load. I'll run the test and post here if find anything interesting.

follow as explained below to see temperature and fan speed in Catalyst.

start -> performance -> clock controls -> AMD Overdrive.

One more thing : Make sure your core clock and memory clock of GPU is set to default values if they are high.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna
Originally posted by: ufimtsev Hi antzrhere,

follow as explained below to see temperature and fan speed in Catalyst.

start -> performance -> clock controls -> AMD Overdrive.

One more thing : Make sure your core clock and memory clock of GPU is set to default values if they are high.

On my system, there's no "start", no "performance", and no "clock controls" in Catalyst. I had to download the utility from the video card manufacturer to have access to fan controls. And even then the fan refuses to spin up to 100% under heavy load, unless the video card is used as the primary output (I have a multi-GPU setup).

Once I can actually get the fan to work at high speed, it's extremely noisy (so you can hear right away that it's working), but the temperature of the 6970 goes down to about 65 C, fully loaded with fan at 85%.

I don't know how long the GPU would last at 110 C, my guess would be "not very long", and it would probably crash all the time.

0 Likes

That's right, one needs to attach a monitor to a card to get access to Overdrive.

I did that and turns out that GPU-Z reports correct values.

0 Likes

I have finally managed to load both of my video cards (6970 and 560) with OpenCL/CUDA programs at the same time. Both cards on stock air cooling, both fans set to 90%, everything thoroughly vacuumed to eliminate dust. Temps stabilize at 71 C and 74 C. 

0 Likes

Water cooling is the most efficient technology. We are using watercooling on two ati radeon 6990 and there is no particular noise. GPU temp go from 37°C to 45°C.

0 Likes
d_a_a_
Adept II

I've a Radeon HD6970 on GNU/Linux. I'm using the latest fglrx driver (version 11.8), and its default fan speed is statically set at 25% and doesn't increase even when the GPU temperature reaches, for instance, 95°C--it is to reach that temperature running OpenCL applications. This is dangerous. I'm wondering why there isn't a dynamic fan control set up by default.

0 Likes