Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

flynd
Journeyman III

glUnmapBufferARB( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB ) returns false

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use PerfStudio on my Ogre3D application but I encounter some problem when I pause my application using PerfStudio client.

My application crashes because glUnmapBufferARB( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB ) returns GL_FALSE.

Do you have any idea from where this error could come from (and why only when I try to pause PerfStudio) ?

Thank you for reading !

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Flynd,

Thanks for the info. It looks like you're using an NVidia GPU. PerfStudio isn't supported on non-AMD hardware and does not have access to NVidia-specific hardware counters. However, the GPUTime should be supported though a standard GL API query. I'll take a look at this and get back to you.

Tony.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies

Hi,

PerfStudio may not be handling the Map/Unmap functions correctly in this case. It needs to store buffer data internally so that it can play the frame back repeatedly. How large is the buffer? It's possible that it's running out of memory somewhere. Do you have a test app that we can get hold of to look into this further?

Thanks,

Tony.

0 Likes
Lonesled
Staff

Hi, thanks for the report we will look into it. We will try some Ogre3D apps for a repro case. If you would like us to use your app for the repro  please email a zip file to gordon.selley@amd.com

0 Likes

Hi Flynd,

A couple questions: Which graphics card/drivers do you have installed? Which version of Ogre are you using? Which OS & version are you using?

Looking at the source code for Ogre 1.8.1 on Windows, Map/Unmap is only used in a couple places when setting up vertex and index buffers. I haven't managed to duplicate what you are seeing with the sample apps that come with Ogre. I'll continue to investigate.

Thanks,

Tony.

0 Likes

Hi tonyhosier, Lonesled,

I have some news :

I recently realise that my problem is coming from some fixed-function pipeline's calls. I fixed these ones, and I am now able to pause my application with Perfstudio using Ogre's render system GL3+.

But Perfstudio returns another error : "The GPU timing information for the draw calls in this frame cannot be found. The GPU timings displayed will be incorrect, and profiling of draw calls has been disabled." so I can't access to the frame profiler : "Error : Unable to enable selected counters: Hardware not supported".

Thank you for your answers,

Flynd

Ogre : 1.9

gpu : GTX960

Hi Flynd,

Thanks for the info. It looks like you're using an NVidia GPU. PerfStudio isn't supported on non-AMD hardware and does not have access to NVidia-specific hardware counters. However, the GPUTime should be supported though a standard GL API query. I'll take a look at this and get back to you.

Tony.

0 Likes