cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bubu
Adept II

freebsd

Where can I download the drivers and SDK for FreeBSD/PC-BSD, pls?

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

hi bubu,

AFAIK, AMD launches catalyst driver for following:

Red Hat® Enterprise Linux suite
Novell/SuSE® product suite
Ubuntu®.

Have you tried this driver?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: himanshu.gautam hi bubu,

AFAIK, AMD launches catalyst driver for following:

Red Hat® Enterprise Linux suite Novell/SuSE® product suite Ubuntu®.

Have you tried this driver?

Yep, but I was not able to install them properly ( freebsd has a linux-compatibility mechanism, but it's very hard to setup it correctly ).

Ideally, I'm seeking for a .PBI or .TBZ native package for FreeBSD/PCBSD that could be installed with a click or using a simple pkg_add command.

As far as I know there is no OpenCL implementation for FreeBSD (or any other BSD distribution), not from AMD, Nvidia or anyone else.

NVIDIA has OpenCL/CUDA drivers for FreeBSD but there is no CUDA toolkit ... yet

I don't know of anyone planning to bring OpenCL support to the BSD world either.

I hope because FreeBSD is pretty cool. We recently discovered PC-BSD which is a truly amazing and rock-solid OS.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: bubu

As far as I know there is no OpenCL implementation for FreeBSD (or any other BSD distribution), not from AMD, Nvidia or anyone else.

NVIDIA has OpenCL/CUDA drivers for FreeBSD but there is no CUDA toolkit ... yet

I don't know of anyone planning to bring OpenCL support to the BSD world either.

I hope because FreeBSD is pretty cool. We recently discovered PC-BSD which is a truly amazing and rock-solid OS.

Indeed, I would love to have OpenCL support in FreeBSD. I'm primarily a Windows user, but if I were to start using a *nix system seriously, it would probably be PC-BSD.

Nvidia having the driver ported but not the toolkit means what? It's not possible to develop (or at least it's not natively supported)? Is it possible to run programs, or are the necessary libraries and such also lacking?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: dravisher It's not possible to develop (or at least it's not natively supported)? Is it possible to run programs, or are the necessary libraries and such also lacking?

NVIDIA has the 260 drivers with OpenCL and OpenGL 4.1 available for BSD but not their CUDA Toolkit, so you really cannot develop a program using OpenCL for BSD.

FreeBSD/PCBSD include a port to enable linux compability, but it's a bit complicated to setup it. Some people reported some success installing the CUDA SDK for Red Hat Linux but it has some problems ( like lack of image support or hangs with multiple events ).

Ideally, I would want full Windows, linux, MacOSX and BSD support and, then, it would be perfect. I think BSD is important in that list because a lot of computing clusters use/are going to use BSD due to its fault-tolerancy.

0 Likes
dravisher
Journeyman III

As far as I know there is no OpenCL implementation for FreeBSD (or any other BSD distribution), not from AMD, Nvidia or anyone else. I don't know of anyone planning to bring OpenCL support to the BSD world either.

0 Likes