Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dkayser
Journeyman III

Fourth Monitor for FirePro 2460 - fglrx

0 down vote favorite 

share [g+] share [fb]

I am running 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux with the FirePro 2460 with the following driver.

fglrx                                  2:8.960-0ubuntu1

I can get 3 monitors working fine each running under a different xserver DISPLAY name, :0.0, :0.1, :0.2. When I add the fourth monitor, I end up with the following error in Xorg.0.log.

Does anyone know if this is supported? Is this an error in configuration? Is this an error in the driver?

Should I ask these questions elsewhere?

[4.063] (EE) fglrx(3): Display Infrastructure Failed Due to Hardware Limitation
[4.063] (EE) fglrx(3): PreInit failed

Thanks, Donald Kayser

0 Likes
1 Solution
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi Donald,

can you please provide some details on how you connected the monitors. Are they all connected using passive Display Port to DVI or HDMI adapters?

Actually you cannot connect 4 different DVI monitors to the 2460. You should connect them through Display Port. If the monitor does not support DisplayPort you should use active DisplayPort to DVI adapters. Those behave to the graphics board as a DP connection.

All DP monitors can share a single clock whereas each DVI monitor needs its own clock. So the number of possible DVI/HDMI monitors is limited.

A list of recommended active DP to DVI/HDMI adapters can be found on: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies