cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jonmarbach
Journeyman III

FirePro driver slows down Visual Studio 2005 debugging tremendously

5-10x slower! Anyone else expreriencing this?

I've just recently begun to debug on AMD/ATI graphics hardware and the graphics driver has some unexplainable slowdown for VS2005 debugging that makes development darn near impossible.

If I switch to an NV card in the exact same machine the debug speed issue goes away, so I feel that I've isolated the problem to the ATI driver. I'm running XP x64 on an old HP xw9300 dual Opteron machine.

I know I'm not being very specific on the problem but here are some numbers: stepping over a relatively simple line of code is taking about 6 seconds for each line - normally (i.e with Nvidia hardware) the response is nearly-instantaneous. Also, at application exit, there is a 45-second delay or more, whereas normally the teardown only takes a few seconds.

Incidentally, I'm seeing many messages like this in the VS output window:

fnCallReturnMessage::WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING: uID = 0

Any help or advice would be appreciated, as my AMD/ATI developer experience is  less than stellar right now.

Thanks,
Jon   

0 Likes
2 Replies
Byron
Staff

Please provide a test program so that we may look into this.

0 Likes

Problem Solved (but not completely explained): It looks like I had too many breakpoints. I happened to hit Delete All Breakpoints and then suddenly performance came back to normal.

This doesn't answer why there is such a huge difference with the AMD/ATI driver versus NVidia's driver, but I guess this is just one of those tips to keep in the back of our minds!

0 Likes