Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

oscarbarenys1
Adept II

Features of Stream SDK 1.2?

Hi,

seems that SDK 1.2 is coming this week..

can someone at AMD elaborate of what new features or examples to expect?

It has been said to support HD4xxx series and Vista..

Specifically what about this features:

1.Interoperability with graphics APIS: In presentations in a Siggraph course Houston showed that DirectX9 and DX10 interop is coming.. in 1.2? also what about OpenGL?   

2.Shared memory: In AMD H4xxx launch presentations AMD showed that this new gen. cards had improved stream features among others shared memory which seem similar to Nvidia CUDA shmem.. Will be exposed in 1.2?.. In CAL only or in Brook also..

3.Sinchronization primitives. As in CUDA.. seem to be apropiate once shared mem is exposed..

4. Atomic intrustions for accesing memory..

In my humble opinion (Sorry for saying so clear)  this three features seem to

be three major areas in which CUDA is superior to your SDK for computing..

(albeit it all now seem software deficiencies excepting perhaps atomic instructions)..

I want to express this as constructive opinions and I also am aware that your hardware for example for double precision computing is better than competition solutions..

Thanks,

Oscar.

0 Likes
23 Replies
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Yes, CUDA is superior to Firestream at this point.

The one thing that really stands out to me is how Nvidia can have a ~40 page document that one can read and begin programming in CUDA immediately with little to no questions while AMD has all this documentation and it's virtually useless. Too many companies these days under emphasize documentation and the importance of it, IMO.
0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

Well, I think Brook has a great programming model, cleaner and easier to learn than CUDA, however it's
true that it is still in development and documentation is quite poor. Shared memory access would be a
really powerful feature, but I think there are a few things to be fixed before that, like in kernel array support.
0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Ceq,

Although I disagree that Brook+ is cleaner and easier to use than CUDA (I have no idea how you came to this conclusion), even if Brook+ was the best ever it still is no good if the company can't get across to developers how to develop using it. Nvidia is light years ahead of AMD in this regard.
0 Likes
xtremeleo
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: ryta1203 Yes, CUDA is superior to Firestream at this point. The one thing that really stands out to me is how Nvidia can have a ~40 page document that one can read and begin programming in CUDA immediately with little to no questions while AMD has all this documentation and it's virtually useless. Too many companies these days under emphasize documentation and the importance of it, IMO.

Can you refer me please to that documentation?

Is just that I'm in high school and have virtually no resources for learning, can you help me a bit?

For example, If I can read and understand the documentation, would I be able to make little apps? I'm not specting to write a real time ray tracer engine, but simple programs.

0 Likes
traits
Journeyman III

IMO, the doc is a big problem

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

To xtremeleo:

To get the documentation just download the SDK and install it, it is inside a folder named 'doc' in your Brook+ directory.
You will also find a 'samples' folder:
Inside 'tests' there are some recommended examples to get used to Brook+ syntax
Inside 'samples' there are some more advanced programs to show Brook+ capabilities.

There is something like a quick language description in the original brookgpu project homepage, Brook and Brook+ are nearly identical:
http://www-graphics.stanford.e...cts/brookgpu/lang.html
0 Likes
xtremeleo
Journeyman III

Thanks a lot Ceq, but still I have only a vague idea. I've always worked with Visual Studio and the SDK's, I've used were a bunch of dll's but now this brings with the direct source code, C++?

Can I use Mono with Stream SDK?

Or can you recommend me a good IDE for Ubuntu?

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
shormanm
Journeyman III

Maybe you can figure out the new features if you download it?

ftp://ftp-developer.amd.com/AMD_Stream_SDK/v1.2-beta/

I am not sure why no one announced this download so far.

0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: shormanm

Maybe you can figure out the new features if you download it?

ftp://ftp-developer.amd.com/AMD_Stream_SDK/v1.2-beta/

I am not sure why no one announced this download so far.

This url is not working.

0 Likes