cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cheetahfox
Journeyman III

Epyc SP3/TR4 Install Tool - Where to get it?

Simple question... Where do I get the install tool?

Because my Epyc 7351p didn't come with this propitiatory tool that is required to install it. I can't even find a part number/ official description of it... but it's clearly described in the installation manual(sheet). I see pictures and videos people using them to install threadrippers(same socket) which seem to include the tool with the cpu.

0 Likes
5 Replies
goodguy
Adept II

The installation instructions that came with my EPYCs (7551) clearly showed the orange install tool but it was definitely not included.  After verifying a correct setting to use (14.2 in/lbs which is also on this forum) I purchased a Husky 1/4" torque driver (model 1000 030 971) at a local big box hardware store for about $60.  I apologize for using the brand and price BUT I literally spent many hours locating an affordable tool and hope to spare others the same problem.   You will also need a Torx T20 bit if you do not already have one.  I "practiced" with it on other screws first and found it worked just as it should during installation.

0 Likes

AMD provides the specifications for the socket installation screws (bit size and tightening torque) as well as the tighten / loosen order (which must be followed), however we do not provide the tool. Any tool capable of meeting our specifications will suffice.

Thanks @goodguy for sharing your finding. The orange install tool shown in the video was custom made for our ThreadRipper retail release though the same tool can be used for the EPYC SP3 socket as the torque specifications and bit size are the same as you pointed out.

Regards,

Lewis

0 Likes

That is correct, the tool is not custom except that we had some made specifically for Threadripper ... marketing!

As noted in the previous thread the bit is used and the documentation specifies the torque requirement for the lid.

The torque screw driver is set at 16.1 kgf-cm (14.0 lbf-in) and fitted with a Torx T20 screw head bit.

0 Likes
ep-98d
Adept II

Built EPYC 7551P system recently and the tool was not included. Just go to any hardware store and get a Torx T20 tip.

0 Likes
goodguy
Adept II

My understanding is that you can not get that exact tool but per previous answers any alternative that fits the specs will suffice.  For example:

a Husky 1/4" torque driver (model 1000 030 971) at a local big box hardware store for about $60.  You will also need a Torx T20 bit if you do not already have one. 

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018, 12:50:54 PM MDT, cheetahfox <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

Epyc SP3/TR4 Install Tool - Where to get it?

in AMD Server Gurus

Simple question... Where do I get the install tool?

Because my Epyc 7351p didn't come with this propitiatory tool that is required to install it. I can't even find a part number/ official description of it... but it's clearly described in the installation manual(sheet). I see pictures and videos people using them to install threadrippers(same socket) which seem to include the tool with the cpu.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes