Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

Emulation mode

Shanka,
Please use the --offline-devices platform extension. This will allow you to do so.
0 Likes
jeff_golds
Staff
Staff

Emulation mode

Originally posted by: shankha Thanks for the tip!.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This will generate code which will run on CPU.  I wish to generate code for a particular GPU (say R5700) without installing the card. I do not wish  to run the kernel. Just wish to compile the OpenCL code and dump hthe assembly.

To clarify some.  The same application can use the CPU and GPU devices.  So the code generation is the same *until you call clBuildProgram*.  clBuildProgram is when the driver compiles the OpenCL kernel for the particular device(s) you pass in.  All the host code is identical, really.

That said, you may wish to change the flow of your application depending on whether you are running on a CPU or GPU device.  For example, GPU devices might work more efficiently by moving data to the device, but the CPU doesn't have this issue.

Jeff

0 Likes
shankha
Journeyman III

Emulation mode

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Shanka, Please use the --offline-devices platform extension. This will allow you to do so.

Thanks.

Found a excellent example  here (http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=115).

0 Likes