cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

richardhecker
Journeyman III

Driver Segmentation faults and support is almost as bad

Your web interface is lousy.  I have used two versions of the installer (11-12 and 12-3) so I have encountered segmentation faults in both (8.95.3 and 8.92.6) versions of the fglrx driver that was installed on separate machines.  I wanted to report my findings and eventaully wound up on the Software Developers Help Request form but bugs prevented me from submitting anything.  At first I thought it might be due to my preference of firefox over the Microsoft bloatware.  But explorer failed too.  Now I am here hoping this submission will work.

I am attaching the backtrace from the segmentation fault.  When I was writing drivers for XFree86 I enjoyed digging into the gory details.  I tried submitting enough details in my previous attempts to give you a good starting point.  But my current position as a system administrator is based upon the expectation that I should only need to run the installer and everything should just work.  That obviously is not the case.  We are using HD 5450 cards in Debian Squeeze machines.  We also have a RedHat 6.2 candidate available for potential testing.  Please have the developers look at the backtrace and tell me if this is a known issue.  We want to roll out this HD 5450 configuration to multiple sites.  I can supply additional information to the right contact person if this is not a known issue.

0 Likes
2 Replies
kcarney
Staff

Hello!

Wow, that sounds really frustrating! Sorry to hear about all of the problems & then problems reporting problems.

Since you haven't gotten a reply yet on the developer forums, I'd suggest either the Customer Care email form -- http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/or if this was the form that wasn't working for you, here are phone numbers for technical support -- http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/global-technical-support.aspx

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

Hi Kristen;

Thank you for noticing. It does not make any sense, but I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it. Since I got the same fault on two different machines, it seemed unlikely to be a corruption issue. But the driver is now working on both machines and I am left without any good explanation.

Richard

0 Likes