Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

douglas125
Adept I

Driver installation issue

Display/OpenCL driver issues when installing in a new Fusion Notebook

Hello;

I'd like to report a problem that occurred when I tried to install AMD display/OpenCL drivers in a new HP Pavilion running a Fusion processor.

Maybe this is not the most appropriate forum but we developers do update our drivers much more than the average user.

I wanted to try OpenCL code in the new computer ASAP so I tried to install all drivers right away without letting Windows Update modify the computer first.

Here is a detailed description:

1 - Get the computer out of the box, download latest display/OpenCL drivers;
2 - Attempt to install all drivers. They will either hang at some point or not run at all after the initial unzip screen;
3 - This is the strange part. Even after updating the OS the drivers won't install. I removed Catalyst and every driver and I still couldn't manage to get the drivers working properly.

Here's what worked to solve the problem:

1 - Factory restore (painful);

2 - Install all and every Windows update, which requires rebooting the computer several times;

3 - After certifying that everything is up-to-date, then install display drivers and OpenCL drivers (in this order).

This is of course a solved issue but it would have been quite unpleasant to restore my PC to factory condition if I already had personal files in it.

I hope this post can help you reproduce the issue. I was using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a Zacate APU.

0 Likes
0 Replies