cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

tugrul_512bit
Adept III

Driver for both R7-240 and RX-550

I have a R7-240 and there is a RX-550 on the way. Which drivers would I need?

1- Only RX-550 drivers enough for both cards?

2- Need R7-240 drivers installed first, then RX-550 drivers installed afterwards?

3- Need opposite order of option 2?

4- Continue with R7-240 drivers?

I'm asking this because I'm developing an open-source multi-gpu capable load balancer API for OpenCL kernels(in C#) and I will add some features to it when new card arrives.

Also there are other unrelated issues I'm having:

- my monitor is analogue VGA, RX550 has only digital output, so I'll have the display from R7-240 for some time(until I find an active HDMI-toVGA converter)

- I'll plug the new card to top pci-e slot which is 16x lanes and plug the R7-240 to pci-e 4x lanes in the bottom of mainboard. I don't know if  Gigabyte 990xa-ud3 can carry this combination or not. Because the pci-e 4x slot will be feeding the video output.

so there is an unrelated question: can RX550 somehow render game graphics(as usual) but instead of outputing the frames from DVI-D, any possibility of diverting it to R7-240(in he pcie-pcie connection) so this smaller card feeds the monitor?

My ultimate goal is to be able to see both cards in OpenCL platforms list and devices list to compute math in both of them at the same time. When I need gaming, I'll buy a converter and switch the cable to RX550 ofcourse. But now only OpenCL support for both cards is all I need.

Project page: Home · tugrul512bit/Cekirdekler Wiki · GitHub

Easy OpenCL Multiple Device Load Balancing and Pipelining For C#: Cekirdekler API - CodeProject

0 Likes
1 Solution
dipak
Big Boss

Hi,

I think this thread is related to this: old gpu as coprocessor and  Ray M has already addressed it.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
tugrul_512bit
Adept III

I just installed the RX550(tried sapphire's own driver disk and amd's drivers for RX550 w10 64 bit), but now anything related with opencl is not working. Also needed to buy a hdmi-to-vga converter because of black screen from r7-240.

- compubench benchmark crashes

- visual studio 2015with openc-related add-ons crashes

- codexl crashes

- gpu-z crashes

now I will remove the R7-240 and re-install drivers and try again.

0 Likes

Removed the r7-240 now evertything is working. Now I'll try r7-240 again, just to make sure it isnt an install error. Then will try on 8x pci-e(shared channels) slot.

0 Likes

Tried r7-240 on x4 slot again, failed, then moved it to x8 slot(shared with primary slot with rx550), failed again(this time not only opencl but also opengl failed too)

Also radeon settings show driver version as "Press" when I install from sapphire's driver cd, "BETA" when I install from Amd driver page(rx550 drivers)

I guess there is no multi-device option for opencl 1.2 for RX500 series. I guessed I could use both cards for opencl but it fails. What should I do now? I'm using hdmi-to-vga converter so r7-240 will be used as only an open-cl coprocessor in my programs. Is there a switch to make it compute-only mode?

0 Likes

If this problem can be solved anyhow, this would make AMD more flexible in terms of selecting acceleration hardware for video decoders, games, many things and would be a better position against Nvidia, so a win-win imho.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi,

I think this thread is related to this: old gpu as coprocessor and  Ray M has already addressed it.

Regards,

0 Likes

Yes I couldn't find delete button to delete current thread. I'm waiting whql or any unified driver to be released. Thank you.

Regards

0 Likes