cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

nezarn
Adept II

Re: Driver Crash\BSOD with Vulkan

So any update regarding 100% GPU usage? (in vulkan with GCN3 and 4 cards)

0 Likes
dwitczak
Staff
Staff

I don't have any update at this point, I'm afraid.

0 Likes
nezarn
Adept II

Since theres still no news (and rpcs3 dev only fixes nvidia issues), found a way to reproduce the driver crash.

0. Emulator source code: GitHub - RPCS3/rpcs3: PS3 emulator/debugger

1. Download the emulator from here https://rpcs3.net/download

2. Download PS3 firmware update from here PS3 System Software Update – Latest Version 4.81

3. Download Project Diva F Demo from here Dropbox - UP0177-NPUB90958_00-PJDF393PRPRTRIAL.pkg

4. After extracting the emulator, go to File -> Install Firmware

5. Install the Demo with File -> Install .pkg

6. In Configuration -> GPU set the renderer to Vulkan (and for good audio, set Xaudio2 in Audio tab), in Configuration -> Pads set up controller, or keyboard controls (its needed, because issue happens in gameplay)

7. Run the game, and in the song list, choose Black★Rock Shooter, difficulty doesn't matter (if it doesn't wanna load, change PPU decoder to Interpreter (fast) in configuration -> cpu)

8. After a while, game will crash the driver. (based on this video Project Diva F | Black Rock Shooter | EXTREME PERFECT - YouTube  it happens when camera would show that blinking lamp, around 0:44 in the video)

Also this driver crash happens in linux too, even with opensource drivers. Also note that it doesn't happen with every AMD card, from what I've seen, only happens on newer cards. (on some GCN3 cards, and on my RX480).

I hope you guys can debug the issue, whenever its really a driver issue (as the stubborn rpcs3 dev says, which I don't believe, because then how come every other Vulkan app\game works just fine) or an emulator issue.

edit: It looks like its the same issue as Vulkan: Fix GPU hangs on AMD Polaris by stenzek · Pull Request #4924 · dolphin-emu/dolphin · GitHub this, if I modify source code to disable primitive restart, it doesn't crash driver

if (rsx::method_registers.restart_index_enabled())

properties.ia.primitiveRestartEnable = VK_FALSE;

//else

//properties.ia.primitiveRestartEnable = VK_FALSE;

But ofc since this isn't a real fix, it breaks graphics in everything.

edit: primitive restart is broken, workaround was made in the emulator (which basically disables primitive restart on RX4xx, RX5xx and Vega)

0 Likes