cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

parkjhp
Journeyman III

Does not yet support the A10 on linux?

I bought A10 notebook(HP g6 2002ax, A10-4600M(+7660G) + HD7670M, ubuntu11.10x64) for OpenCL Programming

Ubuntu is running normally

But, there is some problem on OpenCL

I can find 7670M & A10-4600(CPU) for OpenCL

but, I cant find 7660G for OpenCL(ckeck it use clinfo)

I intalled catalyst 12.04 first and AMD APP SDK 2.7 next.

Did I do something wrong? or

AMD APP SDK does not yet support the A10 on linux?

0 Likes
22 Replies
settle
Challenger

Since a similar thing happens with my A8 notebook (HP dv6z-6b000 with an A8-3530MX and an Radeon HD 6750M), The problem is more fundamental in the driver, part of which requires that a screen be initialized on a AMD graphics device if it is to be used in an OpenCL application.

If you use the command line aticonfig you can switch between the igpu and dgpu (rebooting may be required), but clinfo only recognizes the active gpu since that's the one on which the screen is initialized.  If you can hook up crossfire with the two graphics devices then the screen is initialized seemlessly across both devices and you should see both in clinfo.

If you get this to work how I think you want it to work (both fully functional independent of the other), please let me know how.

0 Likes

Here's what I heard back --

"My guess is that this is an HP BIOS problem.

It sound like the laptop has both the integrated GPU and a discrete mobile GPU (?) and the drivers only see the dGPU.

There are BIOS switches to enable / disable the GPUs.  I do not know if both GPUs can be enabled simultaneously – have not tried it.

He should be able to run on the 7670M just fine."

Is this helpful?

Kristen

0 Likes

I have the same problem on my toshiba Satellite-S875D (A10 + HD 7610M).  Both devices are recognized, but only one GPU (and the cpu) is reported with clinfo: 

jape@jape-Satellite-S875D:~/Downloads$ aticonfig --list-adapters

* 0. 00:01.0 AMD Radeon HD 7660G  

1. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series   

jape@jape-Satellite-S875D:~/Downloads$ clinfo

Number of platforms:                            1  

Platform Profile:                              FULL_PROFILE  

Platform Version:                              OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1)  

Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing  

Platform Vendor:                               Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.  

Platform Extensions:                           cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices    

Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Number of devices:                               2  

Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU  

Device ID:                                     4098  

Board name:                                    AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series  

Device Topology:                               PCI[ B#1, D#0, F#0 ]  

Max compute units:                             5

Any thoughts? 

jp

0 Likes

do you export DISPLAY=:0 ? default value cause that only first GPU is visible.

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't make a difference for me. The 7660G is still being ignored.  I tried windows, and there both GPU devices show up with clinfo.

0 Likes

OK.  I was able to get the 7660G (A10 processor) to show up under clinfo by using aticonfig to swap the active gpu to be the embedded one :

sudo aticonfig  --px-igpu

and then restart X.

clinfo:

Number of platforms:                         1
  Platform Profile:                          FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Version:                          OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1)
  Platform Name:                             AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Platform Vendor:                           Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Extensions:                       cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices

Platform Name:                             AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices:                           2
  Device Type:                               CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU
  Device ID:                                 4098
  Board name:                                AMD Radeon HD 7660G
  Device Topology:                           PCI[ B#0, D#1, F#0 ]

Now I just need to figure out how to get both GPUs enabled, like under windows.

regards

jp

0 Likes

My clinfo also shows only 7600m and CPU, but aticonfig shows both 7660g (default) and 7600m.

In fact when I start any sample from AMD APP SDK 2.8 it only let me use 7660g and/or CPU but not 7600m!!!

0 Likes

It works for me too.

In fact 7660g works faster than 7670m but it does not work with OpenGL applications for some reason

0 Likes

hi pbcpbt,

can you tell, how you made the two gpus work together. Was it a problem related to setting some environment variable.

I will try to check this, if i can arrange a similar configuration at my end.

Thanks

workitem7

0 Likes

I could not make them work together.

I only can switch between them using either catalyst control center or aticonfig.

0 Likes

hi pbcpbt,

I was finally able to use both the integrated as well as discrete GPU for OpenCL computation. clinfo shows all the three devices ( A10 CPU + discrete GPU + IGPU).

Here are the settings i used. I hope they can help you:

1. Connect a monitor each to DGPU and to IGPU. Maybe dummy connectors works, but not sure about that.

2. In BIOS settings, select "IGPU" as primary GPU and use "force" option to enable Integrated Graphics.

3. Do export DISPLAY=:0

4. Do aticonfig --adapter=all --initial

5. Now check if two adapters are displayed using aticonfig --list-adapters or by using lspci | grep "VGA"

6. Run clinfo. I was able to see all the devices. And was select any of the GPUs while running a APP SDK sample.

Hope it helps.

0 Likes

Hello pbcpbt - you need to connect a  dispaly to 7660g to work the OpenGL application. The GL window should be available.

Is it a laptop or desktop configuration?

0 Likes

7660g was connected to display while testing OpenGL applications.

It is a laptop.

0 Likes

hi pbcpbt,

Is your problem fixed?

IMHO it should be fixed after fixing BOIS settings.

0 Likes

Nope.

Everything is the same.

Sometimes when I start an openGL application computers hangs.

0 Likes

Hi pcpbt,

what laptop are you trying it on?

Were you able to select iGPU in graphics settings in BIOS? and even after that you are seeing only the discrete GPU in clinfo?

Can you tell if any SDK sample using openGL hangs for you? With what options?

I will try getting my hands on a laptop with such configuration meanwhile.

0 Likes

There is no iGPU in BIOS.

It's Samsung.

Letest SDK v.2.8.

All OpenGL samples hang while using 7660G.

0 Likes

I would suggest you to check with your hardware supplier, on how to enable the integrated GPU. Most BIOS have this setting inside "Graphics Settings". It is necessary to make your iGPU work in OpenCL along with the dGPU.

I hope you are not having any problems in running samples on the dGPU though.

0 Likes

I'll try to check with Samsung.

Well, dGPU does not support double precision

0 Likes

ok.

Well, dGPU does not support double precision

Yeah. AFAIK, no mobility GPU supports Double precision.

0 Likes
madscientist3dfx
Journeyman III

We are working on developing a bios kernel as the A10 was not put in Kernal until late 3.7 and fully supported in 3.8 kernal

0 Likes
madscientist3dfx
Journeyman III

I will have a couple of my guys run some test on a similar system tomarrow and we will try to get you a fix

0 Likes