cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

hotfox
Journeyman III

Does HD4330 support openCL?

I am using a notebook (Acer AS3810TG) with HD4330 display card installed. And in the openCL manual I found HD4000 serials.

After installed the ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-vista-win7 driver and the openCL sdk, I found that no aticalcl.dll exception occurred when tring to run the samples. So I expand the aticalcl.dll and aticalrt.dll from the driver zip file manually. The samples finally run but each one says 'Unsupported GPU device; falling back to CPU ...'

If there anything wrong or HD4330 does not support openCL at all?

0 Likes
26 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: hotfox I am using a notebook (Acer AS3810TG) with HD4330 display card installed. And in the openCL manual I found HD4000 serials.

After installed the ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-vista-win7 driver and the openCL sdk, I found that no aticalcl.dll exception occurred when tring to run the samples. So I expand the aticalcl.dll and aticalrt.dll from the driver zip file manually. The samples finally run but each one says 'Unsupported GPU device; falling back to CPU ...'

If there anything wrong or HD4330 does not support openCL at all?

Yes, OpenCL is not supported on HD4330

See following link for list of supported devices

http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply

but in the support card list I can find ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4300 series

and in the linked HD4300 series page (http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/ati-mobility-hd-4000/hd-4300/Pages/hd-4300.aspx), my display card,  ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 is the only card described in the page.

That's why I am confused when the 'Unsupported GPU' message appears -_-;

0 Likes

All HD4300 are based on R7xx so could support it (lik HD4350 does), a mobile issue?

0 Likes

Hotfox,
Does CAL work with the board? Please try some of the CAL samples and see if they correctly detect the graphics card.
0 Likes

thanks everybody

I tried the cal samples, and get some odd result, listed here:

C:\Users\HotFox\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\cal\bin\x86>basic
Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185
Found CAL Runtime Version: -2.4206270.4204230
Use -? for help
There was an error initializing CAL.
Error string is Unable to load aticaldd

C:\Users\HotFox\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\cal\bin\x86>cal_idct
Found CAL Runtime Version: -2.4204096.4201825
Use -? for help
Error: CAL initialization failed (calInit).

C:\Users\HotFox\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\cal\bin\x86>hellocal
Found CAL Runtime Version: -2.4203323.4198441
Use -? for help
Program compilation failed. Exiting.

any idea what had happend?

and what's more, why normal installation cannot expands the aticalcl.dll and aticalrt.dll out of the driver package? I must do it by hand -_-;

ps. this notebook has two display cards, one is the onboard intel 4500HD, another is the HD4330. Two cards are hot-switchable under Vista. Driver is installed when the HD4330 is switched on and the samples test in the same condition too.

0 Likes

do you have any news about OpenCL & HD4330 (Acer AS5810TG here, same as HotFox one, switchable radeon/intel, the difference is that I have a 15" LCD)??

I'm asking because I would like to use this notebook to develop "on the road", when I'm not sitting in front of my workstation. I do not need great performances, compatibility would be enough.

But I would like to try only if I know that it will work, I'm sorry but I do not want to screw a working laptop with driver not working and only to find that opencl is not supported. So I will install it only if I will get good news...

thanks in advance!

0 Likes

Originally posted by: cenit do you have any news about OpenCL & HD4330 (Acer AS5810TG here, same as HotFox one, switchable radeon/intel, the difference is that I have a 15" LCD)??

I'm asking because I would like to use this notebook to develop "on the road", when I'm not sitting in front of my workstation. I do not need great performances, compatibility would be enough.

But I would like to try only if I know that it will work, I'm sorry but I do not want to screw a working laptop with driver not working and only to find that opencl is not supported. So I will install it only if I will get good news...

Cenit,

Hotfox able to run successfully on HD4330.  You can try safely.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna

Cenit,

thanks a lot! One more question: which driver should I use?

10.1 for discrete Radeons?

because the latest that Acer is offering is the "old" 8.652.1

0 Likes

Originally posted by: cenit

Cenit,

thanks a lot! One more question: which driver should I use?

10.1 for discrete Radeons?

because the latest that Acer is offering is the "old" 8.652.1

Cenit,

You should get latest driver from Acer or you should use what is available.

0 Likes

Cenit,

Genaganna,

thanks a lot for your helpfulness, but my problems are not over.

As I said, Acer latest driver is 9.7, too old for OpenCL. So, trying to interpret your "you should use what is available", I downloaded 10.1 from ATi website. Of course, it wasn't able to find a suitable card. So, following advices on the internet, I downloaded 9.12 hotfixed and modded them with DH Mobility Modder (I know you do not support it!, and I used 9.12hf because modder is incompatible with 10.1)

So I installed 9.12hf finding that CCC included is incompatible with GPU switching (fundamental in this notebook with two gpus)

So I removed CCC and reinstalled the one included with 9.7 from ATi.

Reboot and what? 9.12hf driver doesn't work. Could it be that, because I'm on Win7 64 bit, drivers are no more WHQL being modded and so they're not loaded? In device manager, it appears that HD 4330 drivers are not loaded because they've some problems...

You said that hotfox was able to work and so to try safely, but now I'm in the situation in which I didn't want to be, having lost a lot of time and much other to lose to repair. I'm not angry with anyone, how could it be, if this could be read from my words (I have some difficulties to explain myself), you can be sure of it! I only would like an advice or an idea if you have one to get this configuration working. How is Hotfox able to run OpenCL on his notebook?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: cenit

Cenit,

Genaganna,

thanks a lot for your helpfulness, but my problems are not over.

As I said, Acer latest driver is 9.7, too old for OpenCL. So, trying to interpret your "you should use what is available", I downloaded 10.1 from ATi website. Of course, it wasn't able to find a suitable card. So, following advices on the internet, I downloaded 9.12 hotfixed and modded them with DH Mobility Modder (I know you do not support it!, and I used 9.12hf because modder is incompatible with 10.1)

So I installed 9.12hf finding that CCC included is incompatible with GPU switching (fundamental in this notebook with two gpus)

So I removed CCC and reinstalled the one included with 9.7 from ATi.

Reboot and what? 9.12hf driver doesn't work. Could it be that, because I'm on Win7 64 bit, drivers are no more WHQL being modded and so they're not loaded? In device manager, it appears that HD 4330 drivers are not loaded because they've some problems...

You said that hotfox was able to work and so to try safely, but now I'm in the situation in which I didn't want to be, having lost a lot of time and much other to lose to repair. I'm not angry with anyone, how could it be, if this could be read from my words (I have some difficulties to explain myself), you can be sure of it! I only would like an advice or an idea if you have one to get this configuration working. How is Hotfox able to run OpenCL on his notebook?

0 Likes

it seems that starting from 10.3 ATi will support Mobility Radeon with their monthly catalyst release.

I will wait for those to enable OpenCL on HD4330!

0 Likes

Or you can use mobility modder and use the desktop drivers

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

Its a tool that mods the regular catalyst installer so that you can install it on the mobility radeon. But it is an unofficial hack so use at your own risk.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: rahulgarg Or you can use mobility modder and use the desktop drivers

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

Its a tool that mods the regular catalyst installer so that you can install it on the mobility radeon. But it is an unofficial hack so use at your own risk.

I think you didn't notice previous posts in which I said that I tried mobility modder but it didn't work (because it's a notebook with dual gpu, one intel and one ATi).

Maybe you're able to find a mistake on my part looking at the steps I took??

0 Likes

Originally posted by: cenit it seems that starting from 10.3 ATi will support Mobility Radeon with their monthly catalyst release.

I will wait for those to enable OpenCL on HD4330!

sorry for auto-quote.

I was waiting for those 10.3 but the preview that went live today (underground.amd.com) refuses to install on my notebook (Acer Aspire 5810TG)

WHY?? I was so sure that I would've been able to start using my HD4330... (I know it's a really poor gpu, but I wanted something to start with)

0 Likes

Cenit,

There are seperate drivers for Desktops and Notebooks, hope you are using the right one.

What is the error you are getting during installation? Also which OS are you using?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: omkaranathan Cenit,

There are seperate drivers for Desktops and Notebooks, hope you are using the right one.

What is the error you are getting during installation? Also which OS are you using?

Of course, I downloaded the notebook one, which is only a small applet (that maybe only analyzes the notebook to see if it's a supported platform)

The applet says that my system is not supported.

Could it be that it's a system with hybrid GPU (ATi 4330 + Intel integrated) and so it's still not supported config??

Thanks!

0 Likes

nooo....

today amd published release notes:

"Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel chipsets are not supported in this release"... Also, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series are missing from the supported cards.

still trying to understand how Genaganna did say "Hotfox able to run successfully on HD4330.  You can try safely."

0 Likes

any news on this?

0 Likes

Cenit,

Refer to

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDK/Pages/default.aspx

4300 series is supported.

Are you facing any issues with Catalyst 10.4 and SDK 2.1?

0 Likes

Refer to

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDK/Pages/default.aspx

4300 series is supported.

Are you facing any issues with Catalyst 10.4 and SDK 2.1?

yes... Catalyst 10.4 does not install on notebook with switchable graphics (my notebook also has an integrated intel to save energy when not needed).

Do you have any news about this problem? Thanks a lot!

0 Likes

Cenit,

Catalyst 10.4/10.5 drivers does not support switchable graphics enabled notebooks using Intel chipsets.

0 Likes

Catalyst 10.4/10.5 drivers does not support switchable graphics enabled notebooks using Intel chipsets.

sometimes I feel like I'm living on a different planet. So many problems at communications... Thanks omkaranathan, but I know that info and wrote here in this thread about that. I asked if you know something more, like "when they'll be supported".

Also, I'm still asking myself how did genaganna say that Hotfox is able to run successfully, when he has my same config...

0 Likes

"when they'll be supported".

We do have plans to support this configuration, but I'm afraid I don't have an exact ETA.

Also, I'm still asking myself how did genaganna say that Hotfox is able to run successfully, when he has my same config...

He does not have the same config, seems to be a miscommunication. 

0 Likes

Originally posted by: omkaranathan

We do have plans to support this configuration, but I'm afraid I don't have an exact ETA.

any news, please??

0 Likes

One year is passed and no news from this problem... my laptop is still here, anyway...

0 Likes