Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

crefvik
Journeyman III

DirectX and Stereoscopic 3D Support

Hello,

I'm a software developer for Infinite Z. Our product is zSpace, a stereoscopic 3D display with built in support for head tracking, and we are trying to support the AMD FirePro graphics cards. We currently tested our OpenGL support with the AMD FirePro V5900, AMD FirePro V7900, and ATI FirePro V8800 cards. Now I am now trying to add support for DirectX 9, 10, and 11, which as you probably already know doesn't support native stereo. I've looked at the AMD Quad-Buffer SDK, which seems like its exactly what I'm looking for. However, according to the documentation, only the AMD Radeon 5000 series or newer card is supported.

How can I get Quad-buffer support for the FirePro cards mentioned above using DirectX 9, 10, and 11?

Thanks for your help,

Christian

0 Likes
3 Replies
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi Christian,

the DX QBS SDK will work on Firepro as well. Unfortunately the current FirePro driver does not yet expose the DX stereo 3D functionality. This functionality will be added to one of the next drivers. There will be no change to the interface of the SDK. The code you write using the current QBS SDK will work on FirePro.

Hi chm,

Thanks for the response.

Do you happen to know which versions of Direct3D will be updated through the FirePro driver to support the Direct3D Quad-buffer API?  The QBS SDK supports D3D 9, 10, and 11 but from what I can tell they are all implemented just a little differently, so I'm not sure if this requires different support at the driver level as well.

Thanks for your help,

Christian

0 Likes

Hi Christian,

the QBS SDKs will be identical on FirePro so you will have support for D3D 9, 10 and 11.

Please note that in opposite to OpenGL the DX stereo will activate quad buffer only if a stereo capable display is detected.QuadBuffer will only be available if the EDID of the connected monitor reports stereo ocapabilities.