Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

denrage2006
Journeyman III

difference between VS pro & VS express

Hello,

I am quite new to VS programming but with a solid background in Fortran90 and  Matlab and I want to start learning OpenCL to take benefit from my radeon hd5850 I bought exclusively for this purpose.

So, I am at the installation part. My first question is the following.

What are pratically the difference between VS pro & express that justifies that the express  ed is not supported by the ati stream sdk?

Thank you for your kind answers,

0 Likes
9 Replies
nou
Exemplar

AFAIK express edition do not have support for plugins (or something else?) so you can't use performance profiler from VS. but you should be able to compile application which use OpenCL.

0 Likes

OK thanks. So I will first try with express version.

0 Likes

AFAIK, the express edition has these limitations:

1. No OpenMP support

2. No x64 support

3. No code sharing/team suport.

4. No plugins/add-ons

0 Likes

Thus I have a problem. I understand why I am facing difficulties with installation & compilations: I am on win 7 64bits. Is there a free alternative?

0 Likes

it lack support for compiling x64 application. compiling 32 bit application should work.

0 Likes

the thing which pushed me to use the x64 compiler was the 3GB limit the 32bits programs have when allocating memory on host memory. Performance-wise you'll probably have no noticeable difference on running kernels for x86 or x64 (unless you hard code some optimizations).

Otherwise, if u'r from an university you can maybe have a nice price for the pro version (can be up to 10x less than the usual public price, if not just free!). else, you can try using GCC for windows and/or check out Eclipse (.org) too (open dev. platform), although i've never tried using (you won't have the AMD profiler plug-in(?), but well, that's a little price to pay for not paying the 1k$ MS VS pro!). last case, go for linux and use gcc!

0 Likes

The true limit of Win32 is really 2Gb because a lot of drivers have severe problems with the /3G switch.

You can execute 32 bits .exe in Win64 tho, just with some limitations.

Unfortunately, the free alternative in Windows is MinGW/gcc win port... but the x64 support is really immature yet + you won't be able to use some .lib

0 Likes

FWIW : I am happily building x64 with VS Express 2010.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: landmann FWIW : I am happily building x64 with VS Express 2010.

You can compile a x64 app installing the Windows x64 SDK but it requires some work.

0 Likes