cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

chart2006
Journeyman III

DDR3 capable chipsets

I've been an AMD enthusiest for many years. Simply i'd never purchase an intel system of any kind.

I know that it took AMD quite a while to bring out the AM2 chipset for support of DDR2. I know that DDR3 is on the rise and modules of up to PC3- 15000. That's extreme performance. Whats the possibility of AMD bringing a chipset that would allow for the DDR3 capabilities? I realized that there simply wasn't a need for the high end DDR2 frequencies but with all the advancements in technology it might be a need for the extreme speeds of DDR3. Simply put what i wouldn't give to see a dual socket (quad-core FX when its available) with support of the ever so fast DDR3. I'd be the first in line to purchase such a monster. Then you could really blow intel out of the water again with the new platform. Make sure it has SLI capabilities. Heck I'm perspiring just thinking about it. haha!
0 Likes
1 Reply
joachimd
Staff

Remember that with the K8 Family of processors (Opteron and all our 64 bit processors) AMD has moved to an on die memory controller. This means that the memory controller is in the CPU. In Intel's case they only have a Front Side Bus (FSB) on the CPU which goes to a chipset whose North-Bridge has a memory controller. For them they can switch out that North Bridge to support different memory whereas for AMD a new Processor would have to be developed as the current CPUs only use DDR2 at highest.
0 Likes