cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

surendarbolegalla
Journeyman III

CUDA on AMD anybody help

My PC has AMD RADEON HD 7500M/7600M Graphics and I also have OpenCL. The problem is after

I have installing Adobe Aftereffects CC2014, When I open the App it is showing like this

(Warning: Ray tracing on the GPU requires an approved NVIDIA graphics card and CUDA 5.0 or later. This may require installing the current display driver For now ray tracing will use the CPU)

What should I do to avoid it could you please help

0 Likes
1 Solution
jtrudeau
Staff

I"m checking internally, but I did find this on an Adobe blog. It's about a year old.

top After Effects feature requests of 2013, plus a peek at what we’re thinking about for the near future

The pertinent part of this is:

GPU acceleration of rendering other than ray-traced 3D renderer: Premiere Pro has done an excellent job over the past few years of showing how powerful the GPU can be for improving performance throughout an image-processing pipeline, and folks are reasonably asking us when After Effects is going to follow suit. We already use the GPU for some things, but not for many of the core image-processing tasks in After Effects. One thing that we are very wary of is creating a dependency on specific hardware for basic tasks when many of our users may not have access to that specific hardware. We are currently attacking this problem from a few different angles, and I hope to be able to share details with you next year. I think that you’re going to like what you see.

A related request is that we add OpenCL acceleration for the ray-traced 3D renderer. That’s not going to happen. The ray-traced 3D renderer in After Effects is built using the OptiX library from Nvidia, which depends on Nvidia’s CUDA technology. However, this should not be interpreted to mean that we are opposed to OpenCL. Quite the opposite. When we on the After Effects team look at how we can improve performance, we look at technologies that can be used on a broad array of hardware, including OpenCL and OpenGL. There is just this one narrow, current instance in which we are dependent on a third party (Nvidia) for one feature, the ray-traced 3D renderer. Keep in mind that the ray-traced 3D renderer has a rather limited feature set compared with the 3D capabilities of Cinema 4D (now included with After Effects), which does not depend on any specific GPU technology at all.

---

I find this encouraging. Adobe  appears to realize that locking a feature to a particular piece of hardware is not a good idea.

If I learn anything internally from our folks who work with Adobe, I'll let you know.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
mdriftmeyer
Adept II

surendarbolegalla wrote:

My PC has AMD RADEON HD 7500M/7600M Graphics and I also have OpenCL. The problem is after

I have installing Adobe Aftereffects CC2014, When I open the App it is showing like this

(Warning: Ray tracing on the GPU requires an approved NVIDIA graphics card and CUDA 5.0 or later. This may require installing the current display driver For now ray tracing will use the CPU)

What should I do to avoid it could you please help

Nvidia CUDA is a proprietary GPGPU software stack for Nvidia based GPUs only.

System requirements | After Effects

Supported GPUs for ray-traced 3D renderer

Windows CUDA

• GeForce GTX 285
  • GeForce GTX 470
  • GeForce GTX 570
  • GeForce GTX 580
  • GeForce GTX 590
  • GeForce GTX 670
  • GeForce GTX 675MX
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • GeForce GTX 680MX
  • GeForce GTX 690
  • GeForce GTX 760
  • GeForce GTX 770
  • GeForce GTX 780
  • GeForce GTX TITAN
  • GeForce GT 650M

• Quadro CX
  • Quadro FX 3700M
  • Quadro FX 3800
  • Quadro FX 3800M
  • Quadro FX 4800
  • Quadro FX 5800
  • Quadro 2000
  • Quadro 2000D
  • Quadro 2000M
  • Quadro 3000M
  • Quadro 4000
  • Quadro 4000M
  • Quadro 5000
  • Quadro 5000M
  • Quadro 5010M
  • Quadro 6000
  • Quadro K2000
  • Quadro K2100M
  • Quadro K3000M
  • Quadro K3100M
  • Quadro K4000
  • Quadro K4000M
  • Quadro K4100M
  • Quadro K5000
  • Quadro K5000M
  • Quadro K5100M
  • Quadro K6000
  • Tesla C2075

Adobe has to add support for OpenCL to Adobe After Effects for your GPGPU AMD card to be leveraged and thus leverage Ray Tracing on the GPU.
jtrudeau
Staff

I"m checking internally, but I did find this on an Adobe blog. It's about a year old.

top After Effects feature requests of 2013, plus a peek at what we’re thinking about for the near future

The pertinent part of this is:

GPU acceleration of rendering other than ray-traced 3D renderer: Premiere Pro has done an excellent job over the past few years of showing how powerful the GPU can be for improving performance throughout an image-processing pipeline, and folks are reasonably asking us when After Effects is going to follow suit. We already use the GPU for some things, but not for many of the core image-processing tasks in After Effects. One thing that we are very wary of is creating a dependency on specific hardware for basic tasks when many of our users may not have access to that specific hardware. We are currently attacking this problem from a few different angles, and I hope to be able to share details with you next year. I think that you’re going to like what you see.

A related request is that we add OpenCL acceleration for the ray-traced 3D renderer. That’s not going to happen. The ray-traced 3D renderer in After Effects is built using the OptiX library from Nvidia, which depends on Nvidia’s CUDA technology. However, this should not be interpreted to mean that we are opposed to OpenCL. Quite the opposite. When we on the After Effects team look at how we can improve performance, we look at technologies that can be used on a broad array of hardware, including OpenCL and OpenGL. There is just this one narrow, current instance in which we are dependent on a third party (Nvidia) for one feature, the ray-traced 3D renderer. Keep in mind that the ray-traced 3D renderer has a rather limited feature set compared with the 3D capabilities of Cinema 4D (now included with After Effects), which does not depend on any specific GPU technology at all.

---

I find this encouraging. Adobe  appears to realize that locking a feature to a particular piece of hardware is not a good idea.

If I learn anything internally from our folks who work with Adobe, I'll let you know.

0 Likes