Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

crwper
Journeyman III

Crash in atio6axx.dll

Greetings--

I have a user who has reported a very strange problem when running our software. When he runs he software the first time after a fresh install, it runs correctly. However, if he closes the program and then runs it again, it crashes. The problem is only resolved if he uninstalls and reinstalls the software. Windows reports that the crash is occurring in "atio6axx.dll". I have been able to track the problem down to the following function call:

PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd =

{

sizeof (PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),   // size of this pfd

1,                                // version number

PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |              // support window

PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL,               // support OpenGL

PFD_TYPE_RGBA,                    // RGBA type

24,                               // 24-bit color depth

0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,                 // color bits ignored

8,                                // 8-bit alpha buffer

0,                                // shift bit ignored

0,                                // no accumulation buffer

0, 0, 0, 0,                       // accum bits ignored

24,                               // 32-bit z-buffer

8,                                // 8-bit stencil buffer

0,                                // no auxiliary buffer

PFD_MAIN_PLANE,                   // main layer

0,                                // reserved

0, 0, 0                           // layer masks ignored

} ;

iPixelFormat = ChoosePixelFormat (m_hDC, &pfd) ;

The parameters to the function call are the same on the first call as on the second, so I'm not sure why subsequent calls would result in a crash. I've tried everything I can think of to work around the problem, including a close examination of our own DLL dependencies--I thought perhaps the AMD driver was conflicting with some driver we were using. However, none of this has resolved the issue. At this point, it seems to me that the most likely cause is a bug in the driver, so I thought I would post here.

The user has an ATI Firepro M7820 with three monitors attached. He has recently updated the Catalyst drivers to 2012.0524.40.42449, but it did not seem to make any difference. Is this the most recent version for his card? Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MIchael

0 Likes
0 Replies