cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

avk
Adept III

CPUID values' manipulation

Nice put, I'd say. But, like I said, a petition would be a more efficient form of expression.

BTW, I've written a small program that can change the "Genu"+"ineI"+"ntel" into the "Auth"+"enti"+"cAMD" and vice versa. You wouldn't believe how much these signatures were found in a miscellaneous software! I recall Morpheus' phrase: "The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us."

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

Originally posted by: avk I've written a small program that can change the "Genu"+"ineI"+"ntel" into the "Auth"+"enti"+"cAMD" and vice versa.

Have you found any examples of programs that run faster on AMD when you change this string in the binary?

If you publish your code then everybody can try with their programs.

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

The program itself is very simple, every coder (even rookie) can create something alike. But I can, of course, publish its source .

As for its testing: not thoroughly. I think you perfectly know that just changing a CPUID.Vendor Signature from one to another is not enough. Every case, I believe, should be thoroughly analyzed and debugged. You see, my goal is to check as many modern PC games as I can, but, alas, I'm not so rich to buy all of them. If I'd try to use their illegal versions (downloaded from the Torrent, for example), who'd believe my results?

0 Likes
sigmainfotech
Journeyman III

cpuid dumps detailed information about the CPU(s) gathered from the CPUID instruction, and also determines the exact model of CPU(s) from that information. It dumps all information available from the CPUID instruction. The exact collection of information available varies between manufacturers and even between different CPUs from a single manufacturer.

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

New program for CPUID value manipulation

I have made a program that can manipulate the CPUID vendor string, family and model number on VIA Nano processors. You can download it from http://www.agner.org/optimize/cpuidfake.zip . It works only on VIA, not on AMD or Intel processors.

Now you can test if a program runs faster if you cange the CPUID. All you need is a computer with a VIA processor (The VIA Mini-ITX board costs less than 200$ and fits into a standard desktop cabinet).

If you find any benchmarks or other commonly used programs with evidently unfair CPU dispatching then please let me know.

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

New program for CPUID value manipulation

Thank you, Agner!

Hey, AMD, wake up! What are you waiting for? Intel will never be a fair player on the CPU market, and you perfectly know this! I believe that it is extremely urgent that you, AMD, should implement this feature. Is it so damn difficult to implement just two or three additional MSR in order to make your CPUs a chameleons like VIA did back in 2003 with C3?

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

Originally posted by: avk

I believe that it is extremely urgent that you, AMD, should implement this feature.

Considering how long the development cycle of a microprocessor is, it will take several years before we have a CPUID change feature in an AMD processor if they decide to make one. By that time, Intel will probably have changed their strategy due to legal pressure and bad publicity.

It would be much faster to make a CPUID manipulation program based on AMD virtualization instructions. I don't have the time to make such a program, but I hope that somebody else will do it. It could be added as a feature to existing virtualization software. Some virtualization tools are open source, so this is doable.

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

Maybe you're right.

0 Likes