cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

avk
Adept III

CPUID values' manipulation

Thanks, but my point was slightly different: I'd like to manipulate the CPUID.0000_0000:1 and 8000_0000:1 values. Alas, seems that there is no way to do it .

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

Hey, AMD! Sorry for repeating myself. If you would implement the CPUID.01.Vendor change feature, this would help you to sue Intel about unfair play. Just imagine how simply you would provide the evidence, just by changing the CPUID.Vendor in BIOS from "AuthenticAMD" to "GenuineIntel". VIA already made such a feature, so why didn't you? What are you waiting for?

0 Likes
Brane2
Adept II

Originally posted by: avk Hey, AMD! Sorry for repeating myself. If you would implement the CPUID.01.Vendor change feature, this would help you to sue Intel about unfair play. Just imagine how simply you would provide the evidence, just by changing the CPUID.Vendor in BIOS from "AuthenticAMD" to "GenuineIntel". VIA already made such a feature, so why didn't you? What are you waiting for?

I have found "AMD Processor Recongition" ( 20734.pdf ) on their site, which seems to describe pretty much what you needed...

0 Likes
Brane2
Adept II

I have found "AMD Processor Recongition" ( 20734.pdf ) on their site, which seems to describe pretty much what you needed...

C**p, it's for old 32-bit generation chips...

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

Again and again I will repeat: "Carthage must be destroyed!" I mean: Intel must be catched in its unfair play a.k.a "GenuineIntel" on the software market! Do you know that lots of software contain this CPUID.Vendor check (what about Adobe Creative Suite 1, 2, 3, 4) which is preventing them to use most of SIMD extensions on non-Intel CPUs? Why are you still do nothing against it?

Is that so difficult to implement an allocation of three MSRs like this?:

1st MSR: First eight ASCII symbols of CPUID.Vendor string;

2nd MSR: Last four ASCII symbols of CPUID.Vendor string and one 32-bit value for CPUID.FamilyModelStepping (just to make Family = 06);

3rd MSR: AND-mask for CPUID.8000_0001 to hide AMD-specific features which usually are not present in Intel CPUs (3DNow!, E3DNow!, EMMX, 3DNow! Prefetch, SSE4A, LZCNT, XOP, CVT16, FMA4 etc).

You could allow user to program these MSRs in the BIOS only by reading some sort of disclaimer if you want, but you definitely should implement this feature to let people know that Intel is a fraud. Here, in Europe, you could change people's mind by doing this, not sure about the other world.

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

Two pictures cost thousand words , just look there and there.

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

Originally posted by: avk Two pictures cost thousand words , just look there and there.

So you are saying that future AMD chips will have a CPUID manipulation feature. Where did you get this from?

0 Likes
avk
Adept III

agner: Relax, it's just an imitation I've made . I just want to say that AMD should implement such a feature (let's call it "Chameleon") long time ago, say, in 1996, with the K5 release. This feature would be a very simple and efficient way to proof that many programs are too sensitive to CPUID.Vendor string.

P.S. BTW, It seems that I've made a (small) mistake in the second "Chameleon" feature page: CPUID.0000_0001.Signature.

0 Likes
arros123
Journeyman III

Thank you for the information. But my point is slightly different: to replace, for example, "AuthenticAMD" string with "GenuineIntel". You see, I know several applications that are relying on this string, and I suspect that this quirk is a cause of slowdown of those applications on non-Intel CPUs. All I need is a tool capable of these manipulation. Maybe such a thing possible on some virtual machine?

Edit: Removed advertising from post

0 Likes
agner
Adept I

I have collected major facts about the Intel compiler issue on my blog:
http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49

0 Likes