cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

zhangfanbluesea
Journeyman III

Could Stream SDK support HD4870?

Could i develop stream computing application in HD 4870 or HD 4850 with Stream SDK?

Another word,is Firestream SDK just for Firesteam Series GPU?

0 Likes
5 Replies

The streem SDK supports most Radeon GPU's from HD2XXX series onward.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow

The streem SDK supports most Radeon GPU's from HD2XXX series onward.

I feel the need to correct this ill-marked statement: R600 does NOT support scatter or double precision and therefore the Firestream SDK does NOT FULLY support HD2XXX cards.

I really feel that AMD needs to fully document this when it gets around to publishing solid and good documents for Firestream SDK.
0 Likes

Ryta,
The Stream SDK fully supports the compute related features of HD2900. However double and scatter support in hardware did not occur until the HD38XX series of cards, therefore it is impossible for the older hardware to have these features. If the hardware had these features, then they would be accessible via the Stream SDK. So my original statement still stands.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow

Ryta,

The Stream SDK fully supports the compute related features of HD2900. However double and scatter support in hardware did not occur until the HD38XX series of cards, therefore it is impossible for the older hardware to have these features. If the hardware had these features, then they would be accessible via the Stream SDK. So my original statement still stands.

While technically you are right, of course, not everyone who cares to program your GPUs is going to concern themselves with the hardware aspects, so I do think it's important to note somewhere in the document that the R600s, while fully supported by the Firestream SDK, DO NOT support double precision or scatter operations due to hardware constraints. I'm not sure how adding this note could hurt AMD.
0 Likes

Ryta,
Although we do mention which cards support double and scatter in the release notes, I will work with our documentation guy to get it added to relevant places in the CAL documentation.
0 Likes