cpu_struct_x.b =  clCreateBuffer(..., sizeof(cl_float) * M, ...);

and on the GPU:

struct x

{

uint *a;

float *b;

};

can I do:

clEnqueueWriteBuffer(..., gpu_struct_x, ...,  sizeof(struct x), &cpu_struct_x, ...); ?

I need this, because I have many lists, and I just want to pass a pointer to a structure which contains pointers to all the lists to the kernels.

I thought this, because I understand cl_mem objects as simple pointers, and I'm not sure that's true...

Thank you

[edit] And what about pointer arithmetics? If I want to copy from element 2 can I do 

clEnqueueReadBuffer(..., cl_mem_vector + sizeof(dim_element) * 2 , ...); ?

-I found out I can't do that, so how could I read only a part of a vector, starting with index N ?

0 Likes
7 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

clEnqueueReadBuffer has 4th parameter as offset. You can use that.

0 Likes

he didn't notice that, thank you

And about the cl_mems? if the kernel reads a a cl_mem object from a struct like the one above, does it interpret it correctly as a memory location, or does passing the cl_mem as a parameter for the kernel change it in a way, so the significance of the bits is different between cl_mem on host and pointer on device?

0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: mihzahaI found out I can't do that, so how could I read only a part of a vector, starting with index N ?

clEnqueueReadBuffer has 4th parameter as offset. You can use that.

0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: mihzaha if I have a structure like this:

struct x

{

cl_mem a;

cl_mem b;

};

struct x cpu_struct_x;

cl_mem gpu_struct_x;

gpu_struct_x = clCreateBuffer(..., sizeof(struct x), ...);

cpu_struct_x.a =  clCreateBuffer(..., sizeof(cl_uint) * N, ...); cpu_struct_x.b =  clCreateBuffer(..., sizeof(cl_float) * M, ...);   and on the GPU: struct x {     uint *a;     float *b; };   can I do:

clEnqueueWriteBuffer(..., gpu_struct_x, ...,  sizeof(struct x), &cpu_struct_x, ...); ?

I need this, because I have many lists, and I just want to pass a pointer to a structure which contains pointers to all the lists to the kernels. I thought this, because I understand cl_mem objects as simple pointers, and I'm not sure that's true...

Above code is completely illegal.

0 Likes

that's bad, I was hoping it could work

so the only way to send cl_mems' is though kernel parameters?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: mihzaha that's bad, I was hoping it could work

I am sure no implementor will support your request forever.

so the only way to send cl_mems' is though kernel parameters?

Remember you are sending data containing cl_mem not cl_mem.

0 Likes

I hope I'm not to insistent  Please forgive me. I'm very new and I didn't quite understand the language.

I ment that it's bad for me, because I already did the structures with that organisation, not that the implementation is bad And it's not a request, it just was an idea I hope could have worked.

I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do:

-I have many arrays (9 arrays) and a few other parameters (they all reside in the device memory).

-In one kernel I need 2 arrays in the general case, but once in a while I have to do something complicated and use all the other arrays.

-I thought it would be a waste to send every time 9 pointers to the arrays + 9 values characterizing the arrays, so I wanted to only send the arrays I want (2) + a pointer to a structure residing in global memory containing pointers to all the other arrays and parameters, in case I need to go the long way.

Since I saw that I can pass as kernel parameter something like (sizeof(cl_mem), cl_mem) and read it like (__global *pointer_to_array), I imagined that cl_mem is something like void*, so I thought to make a structure of cl_mems, but you say it's totally illegal.

If I'm not to insistent I would like to know what is that object and how can I sent the pointers as I mentioned.

Mihai

0 Likes