Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jasno
Journeyman III

confused by clEnqueueWriteBufferRect

using AMD_APP_2.5_RC2 on CPU

I am trying to use this function but it always segfaults for me. If I use the same memory pointers and call clEnqueueWriteBuffer then it doesn't seg fault so I think that I have allocated memory OK, I can only assume it is the values I have in region[3] that are somehow wrong (I am copying from/to the start of the host array / memory buffer so all entries in buffer_origin and host_origin are 0).

When I read the docs for region at

http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/sdk/1.1/docs/man/xhtml/clEnqueueWriteBufferRect.html

it says

"The (width, height, depth) in bytes of the 2D or 3D rectangle being read or written. For a 2D rectangle copy, the depth value given by region[2] should be 1."

but I don't understand how to describe the rectangle width, height and depth "in bytes", surely it should be in terms of numbers of entries ? I can just about think about describing one of the dimension in bytes, but surely not all three?

Later in the doc for "buffer_slice_pitch" it says

"The length of each 2D slice in bytes to be used for the memory region associated with buffer. If buffer_slice_pitch is 0, buffer_slice_pitch is computed as region[1] * buffer_row_pitch"

which means that it may compute the buffer_slice_pitch as width(in bytes)*height(in bytes) which surely is wrong ?

Jason

0 Likes
1 Reply
settle
Challenger

Originally posted by: jasno

When I read the docs for region at

http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/sdk/1.1/docs/man/xhtml/clEnqueueWriteBufferRect.html

it says

"The (width, height, depth) in bytes of the 2D or 3D rectangle being read or written. For a 2D rectangle copy, the depth value given by region[2] should be 1." but I don't understand how to describe the rectangle width, height and depth "in bytes", surely it should be in terms of numbers of entries ? I can just about think about describing one of the dimension in bytes, but surely not all three?

Try downloading the pdf of the OpenCL specification (Version: 1.1, Revision: 44).  In there you'll find this issue has been clarified:

"region defines the (width in bytes, height in rows, depth in slices) of the 2D or 3D rectangle being read or written. For a 2D rectangle copy, the depth value given by region[2] should be 1."

0 Likes