cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

MySchizoBuddy
Journeyman III

Compute capability of AMD Fusion APUs

AMD touts that Fusion APUs have OpenCL 1.1 capability. Can someone tell me what is it's single/double precision performance, plus does it support ECC memory

0 Likes
1 Solution
Meteorhead
Challenger

It supports OpenCL1.1, but it does not support DP, neither does it support ECC. As for performance, compare shader count and clock speed to similar VLIW-5 (HD5xxx) architecture GPUs. Upcoming Trinity will feature VLIW-4 IGP design, but most likely it will still not support DP or ECC.

Successor of Trinity will most likely feature GCN architecture IGP with DP support and ECC also.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Meteorhead
Challenger

It supports OpenCL1.1, but it does not support DP, neither does it support ECC. As for performance, compare shader count and clock speed to similar VLIW-5 (HD5xxx) architecture GPUs. Upcoming Trinity will feature VLIW-4 IGP design, but most likely it will still not support DP or ECC.

Successor of Trinity will most likely feature GCN architecture IGP with DP support and ECC also.

0 Likes

what's name of trinity's successor?

0 Likes

It is codename Kaveri. You can read more at:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5491/amds-2012-2013-client-cpugpuapu-roadmap-revealed

Kaveri APUs will feature advanced HSA (Heterogenous System Architecture) features, most likely those involving fast context switching between CPU and IGP calculation. Heterogenous applications will start to get real interesting when C++ capable IGPs make it into the CPU. Real black magic starts there. I really pity that Trinity does not have GCN in it, only Bulldozer, but I guess it's a first step that's neccessary.

0 Likes

any plans of adding PCIe 3 or triple chanel memory

0 Likes

I don't know about that. Truth be told, I don't recall reading about PCI-E 3.0 on any new chipsets. It would be quite anown goal for AMD to release PCI-E 3.0 GPU, and only give host side support a year later. (Although we have seen some strange things from AMD)

Hope for the best, and keep fingers crossed. In general you won't hear AMD commenting on unreleased products. At most they will point you to a link like anandtech and say "rumor has it...", but they are not allowed to give anything specific.

0 Likes