cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

pwvdendr
Adept II

Compiler fails without error on GPU (works on CPU)

The attached kernel compiles and runs without any problem on CPU. On GPU though, the compiler fails to compile it, but does not return any errors. When running it through the KernelAnalyzer, it seems compilation fails for any platform that I tried (Tahiti, Cayman, Cedar, ...). This is quite serious. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, or how to work around it? I'm using Catalyst 12.8 and have a HD7950, if it matters.

0 Likes
1 Solution
drallan
Challenger

Hi pwvdendr,

This version is failing because it allocates about 150,000 bytes of local memory. The maximum per work group is 32768 bytes. (Tahiti will use its full 64K when two work groups run on the same CU). When the local memory is set below the 32K limit, it compiles on Tahiti as well, congratulations.

Certainly, the compiler should report the error, it's pretty easy for it to check the local memory allocation, I would  think.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
drallan
Challenger

Hi pwvdendr,

This version is failing because it allocates about 150,000 bytes of local memory. The maximum per work group is 32768 bytes. (Tahiti will use its full 64K when two work groups run on the same CU). When the local memory is set below the 32K limit, it compiles on Tahiti as well, congratulations.

Certainly, the compiler should report the error, it's pretty easy for it to check the local memory allocation, I would  think.

0 Likes

Aha, well remarked again. Didn't think of memory issues as I thought that was only checked on runtime. Thanks a bunch!

0 Likes