cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

martind
Journeyman III

CodeXL on command line, or alternatively profiling a shell script using CodeXL

Hi, I am trying to compare effect of CodeXL on the application performance. I would like to profile a few benchmarks using CodeXL while monitoring the some hardware events using perf (working on Ubuntu 12.10). I have a script that takes care of some enviroment settings, and then runs the benchmark application. As I did not find an option of using CodeXL on shell command line (if it is possible, point it out to me please), I am trying to get CodeXL profile the entire script. I am having terrible troubles doing this -- is it even possible? The GUI pops a window saying "Unable to gather profile data", and the console output (shell which I run CodeXL from) tells me that my script is not a valid application. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Maritn

0 Likes
1 Reply
mgbaskar
Staff

Hi,

1) I assume you are trying with CodeXL's CPU Profiling functionality on a system with AMD processor.

2) Currently CodeXL does not support any command line tools. In future, we plan to provide command line tools to collect & analyze the profile data.

3) CodeXL successfully profiles an application invoked through a shell script. When you create a project, if you specify the shell script in the "Executable Path", then codexl will profile the programs launched through that script.

Thanks

Baskar

0 Likes