Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

thokra
Adept II

CodeXL Linux - No process info - Won't break or do stepping

Hello everyone.

I'm currently trying out the latest CodeXL on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and find myself unable to get any information regarding the debugged process. First, no call stack, no functions call history, no nothing. Second, I can't manually step or break at all, I even can't end the process (i.e. the GDB process) because obviously CodeXL doesn't actually talk to GDB after spawning the process. Breakpoints, no matter which category, don't work as well.

Has anyone got a clue about what's going on? TIA!

0 Likes
1 Solution
thokra
Adept II

I finally discovered the significant difference between my system and a stock installation: GDB had root privs all the time to circumvent kernel hardening measures regarding ptrace... Using the current version and disabling ptrace protection via the corresponding script works like a charm. Sorry for the inconvenience.

While I'm here, is it possible GL profiling will be back in some version? As it stands, CL profiling is pretty cool but having a GL timeline and stuff would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
dorono
Staff

Hi,

CodeXL has been verified to work on Ubuntu 12.04 so this must be something specific to the station you're working on. Can you share the details of your station? CPU manufacturer and model, GPU manufacturer and model, driver version. Also, if you could switch CodeXL log to Debug level and upload the log files that would help pinpoint the problem.

0 Likes

Thank you dorono!

Attached the cat from /proc/cpuinfo for core 0. My GPU is a Radeon (of course ) HD7970 with Catalyst 13.4 installed. I'd also attach a log file but the

problem is, CodeXL doesn't actually write a log - ever. Tried all the log levels, no luck so far. I have no idea what's going on actually.

0 Likes

Hi,

CodeXL log files should be stored under /tmp/

Look for 2 files: CodeXL-your_login_name.log and CodeXLServers-your_login_name.log

0 Likes

Ah, well, since I altered the presumed logging path to another directory, I assumed all log were to go there. Well, here it is.

Thanks.

Edit: There is no file matching CodeXLServers-your_login_name.log anywhere. Should there be?

0 Likes

I want to check the basics based on the log and your comments and based on past experience with other users:

1: You installed the .tar.gz and not the rpm version on your ubuntu machine

2: You are running the CodeXL and not the CodeXL-bin and manually defined the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Based on your comments our debug server is not initializing and those two items and the basic reasons on ubuntu and I want to make sure we cover the basics

0 Likes

1: true

2: I did both. Used the shell script and set the path myself and fired up CodeXL-bin. No change.

I installed the converted RPM but still, no change. However, the install scripts, even though successfully converted, fail to run so basically I assume the same state as if I manually unpack the tar.gz.

0 Likes
thokra
Adept II

I finally discovered the significant difference between my system and a stock installation: GDB had root privs all the time to circumvent kernel hardening measures regarding ptrace... Using the current version and disabling ptrace protection via the corresponding script works like a charm. Sorry for the inconvenience.

While I'm here, is it possible GL profiling will be back in some version? As it stands, CL profiling is pretty cool but having a GL timeline and stuff would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

0 Likes