cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

zhongliangong
Journeyman III

CodeXL 1.4 integration with HSA OpenCL 1.2 Beta Preview Driver

I was able to install the AMD HSA driver (Beta preview for windows 8.1) and successfully compile and run the sample programs.

Digging deeper however, the CodeXL (1.4.5724.0) on my workstation is unable to profile the OpenCL Kernels in the samples included with the preview driver download, as the sample code uses Shared Virtual Memory (SVM) arguments.

Could I obtain confirmation that the CodeXL profile does not support profiling code written with the AMD OpenCL 1.2 extensions, and if so, whether there exists any alternatives?

I was also unable to get the CodeXL tool to install the VS2012 plugin in my copy of VS2012 Express. Has anyone been able to install CodeXL on VS2012 Express or would I need to upgrade to the full VS2012?

Thanks

Zhong Liang ONG.

0 Likes
1 Solution
chesik
Staff

HI zhongliangong,

I can confirm that the GPU profiler in CodeXL 1.4 does not support profiling kernels that use SVM arguments.  We are working on a solution currently that will allow you to collect performance counters for those kernels as long as you limit the number of counters to those that can be collected in a single pass.  We are hoping this feature will appear in the next version of CodeXL.

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
jammyamerica
Journeyman III

Let me no too..

0 Likes
zhongliangong
Journeyman III

I found the answer for VS 2012 Express here (Visual Studio 2012 - Express vs Professional - Programmers Stack Exchange)
It seems that "The biggest difference is that Express editions do not support plugins (No ReSharper, no add-ons). " - so the CodeXL plugin won't be able to be installed on VS 2012 express.

I'd be fine with copying the code when I need it profiled on CodeXL (using the CodeXL as a standalone program) - once the Kaveri/HSA support is enabled.

0 Likes
chesik
Staff

HI zhongliangong,

I can confirm that the GPU profiler in CodeXL 1.4 does not support profiling kernels that use SVM arguments.  We are working on a solution currently that will allow you to collect performance counters for those kernels as long as you limit the number of counters to those that can be collected in a single pass.  We are hoping this feature will appear in the next version of CodeXL.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes

Hi Christopher!

Thanks for your helpful response. It seems that I can only mark it once as helpful or correct though.

Zhong Liang

0 Likes
chingwu
Journeyman III

Hi Christopher:

If I wanna to see the performance about HSA capability(without opencl-2.0).

Is there any solution to profile it?

Such as some commands or codeXL?

Thank you.

0 Likes