Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

opello
Adept II

Re: clinfo on GX-424CC, works first time then segfaults

Jump to solution
nibal wrote:
You are right. Didn't realize that, just about everyone here is a developer.

Creating a minimal execution environment doesn't mean that I'm not a developer.  It just means I'm not trying to solve the development use case at the moment.

0 Likes
dipak
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Hi,

From your discussion, it seems that it's a catalyst installation issue. Just want to ask/share few point in this regard.

Do you see the same problem if you install the driver normally i.e. with X support?

I guess, you downloaded the catalyst 14.12 from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Linux%20x86_64&rev=14.12

You know, 14.12 is quite old. You may try the latest driver from here: Linux Download Center

You can also download the necessary dev packages from here Desktop.

BTW, as you said, you're using a G series SoC, I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with that or not. As I checked, I got another link for embedded SoC here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/embedded?os=Linux%20x86_64

In addition, I would like to share few points regarding the clinfo and SDK.

Actually, clinfo comes with both, APP SDK as well as the catalyst driver. As driver gets updated more frequently than SDK, usually catalyst packages contain more recent clinfo file than SDK.

In order to run an OpenCL program on a GPU device, you need to install appropriate Catalyst driver. You don't require any APP SDK for that. The APP SDK is needed for OpenCL development only. Basically the APP SDK provides a CPU runtime and all the necessary header files and libraries required to build an OpenCL program.

Hope I made it clear.

[Edited]

FYI: For supporting catalyst driver related issues, one support forum is available here: AMD Catalyst Drivers & Software

Regards,

opello
Adept II

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I never saw the segfault problem in my development environments (Ubuntu 12.04.5 and Ubuntu 14.04.1) which have X available but boot by default to a console environment.

Today I was able to test my custom environment with the contents of all 4 debs (fglrx_*.deb, fglrx-amdcccle_*.deb, fglrx-core_*.deb, fglrx-dev_*.deb) installed manually.  I still get soft lockups but I can run clinfo multiple times without getting a segfault.  I suppose there is some difference between the first run (when /dev/ati/* and whatever else is set up) and the nth run where the segfault occurs without the additional files installed.

After I didn't see soft lockups using the exact same environment on a different platform (Sapphire BP-FT3GS) that has the same SoC, I'm concluding that it's something about my hardware platform and not the drivers.

Do you think I should move my inquiry to the other forum you mentioned?  This discussion was moved here for me since I didn't have posting privileges prior to creating the thread.

0 Likes
dipak
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

After I didn't see soft lockups using the exact same environment on a different platform (Sapphire BP-FT3GS) that has the same SoC, I'm concluding that it's something about my hardware platform and not the drivers.

Do you think I should move my inquiry to the other forum you mentioned?  This discussion was moved here for me since I didn't have posting privileges prior to creating the thread.

I think, experts from related support forums may be more helpful in this kind of general hardware or software related issues. Whereas, as the name suggests, this forum is mainly focused on OpenCL specific issues. As you've been white-listed, now, you can post to any devguru forum as you feel suitable. So, I would suggest you to check the relevant forum(s).

Here a list of handful support forums:

Support Forums

You may even post your query here General Discussions if you don't find any specific one.

Regards,

0 Likes
a_zatvornitskiy
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I never saw the segfault problem in my development environments (Ubuntu 12.04.5 and Ubuntu 14.04.1) which have X available but boot by default to a console environment.

The same true for me too. I have been seeing the same issue with `clinfo` for AMD A10-7870K APU on Ubuntu 14.04.03 LTS (here is a link to original thread, AMD A10-7870K w/ Catalyst 15.9: `clinfo` throws the `Segmentation fault (core dumped)` after second ...).

Currently, I've been running the `fglrx_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb` driver and boot by default to a SSH environment.

0 Likes
opello
Adept II

Jump to solution

It turns out that I needed to have /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default which is in the fglrx_*.deb but not the fglrx-core_*.deb.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

Jump to solution

Sigh, this is still issue even year later? https://community.amd.com/message/1307390#1307390

0 Likes