cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

nibal
Challenger

clinfo doesn't recognize my R9 Saphire video card

My environment consisting of Ubuntu 14.04 x64 with an AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU, an R9 290 Saphire video card and AMD APP SSDK 2.9.1 used to work flawlessly 3 mos ago. Then I needed to reinstall my Ubuntu 14.04 and restore from backup. Now, clinfo doesn't see my video card any more:

DrWho:~-> clinfo

Number of platforms: 1

Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE

Platform Version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1445.5)

Platform Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_amd_hsa

Platform Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Number of devices: 1

Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU

Vendor ID: 1002h

Any help would be appreciated

0 Likes
1 Solution

Looks like a driver installation issue to me.

If you install only APP SDK, clinfo will still work and will show you the CPU device. For GPU device, the catalyst driver has to be installed properly.

Could you please print "fglrxinfo"  output here.

Regards,

Ravi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
nibal
Challenger

Update:

Of course the same thing happens with my opencl app. It is the call to clGetDeviceIDs that returns only 1 device, the CPU.

Therefore the problem lies with libOpenCL.so. And this is proprietary and off limits to me:-(

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

Did you installed catalyst driver?

0 Likes

Yes i use fglrx 14.501, the same one i used b4 when it worked. If i hadn't clinfo wouldn't work at all. Now it works partially:-(

0 Likes

Looks like a driver installation issue to me.

If you install only APP SDK, clinfo will still work and will show you the CPU device. For GPU device, the catalyst driver has to be installed properly.

Could you please print "fglrxinfo"  output here.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Likes

Indeed. I reinstalled the catalyst driver and this time clinfo sees correctly both devices.

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately I was in a hurry to test it and was not able to get the fglrxinfo with the problem. This is the final correct one.

DrWho:~-> fglrxinfo

display: screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

OpenGL version string: 4.4.13283 Compatibility Profile Context 14.501.1003

0 Likes

Thanks Nikos, And thanks for participating in the community.  I'll make sure Ravi sees the clinfo, but I suspect since the problem is successfully resolved, we're done.

0 Likes