cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

daniel
Journeyman III

clBuildProgram segfaults and other problems.

I have a bug in my OpenCL code in which a computation results in nan. In the process of tracking the source of this bug I added the following code:

if (isnan(var){

debug_info[0] = 1;

}

After adding this code the bug disappeared and the code functioned as expected. To me, this says compiler optimization error. So I added -cl-opt-disable to the build options in order to test my theory and now clBuildProgram segfaults.

I am using AMD-APP-SDK-v2.9-lnx64 and compiling for the hd7970. Unfortunately I cannot post my code publicly.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
9 Replies
sudarshan
Staff

Hi,

It is difficult to make out where the error could be just from the information you have posted.

If you can capture the same bug in a simplified code which you can post, it would be of great help.

Thanks,

0 Likes

I have tracked down the compiler segfault to a pice of code that looks like

if(x == 1){

stuff;

else if(x == 2){

other stuff;

}

If that is changed to

if(x == 1){

stuff;

if(x == 2){

other stuff;

}

Then the code compiles without error. I am working on a simplified version of the code that I can post.

This allowed me to compile the code without optimizations and the nan bug disappeared confirming my hypothesis. I am not sure how to make a simple version of the code that replicates the optimization bug as it is part of a complex piece of code and any attempt to track the bug makes it disappear. Any advice in this area would be helpful.

0 Likes

OK here is the simplest I could make the kernel and replicate the bug

_kernel void foo(__global const int*  mem)

{

int work_id = 1;

int y = me[1];

while (true){

int old_y_value = 1;

if( old_y_value == y)

{

int other_id = 1;

bool loop_two_done = false;

while (!loop_two_done){

if(1 == work_id){

if (other_id == 0){

}else if(1 == other_id){

loop_two_done = true;

}

}

}

}

}

}

If you replace the "else if" on line 24 with "if" then it compiles fine.

0 Likes

Thanks Daniel. We will look into it.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the code. We'll check the bug and give you the update.

Thanks,

Dipak

0 Likes

Hi Daniel,

We tried to reproduce the bug but your sample kernel code seems to work fine. We haven't got any error during building (with and without option "cl-opt-disable") the kernel program. I would suggest you to reinstall the latest drivers and APP SDK. If you still get the problem, please send us the complete sample project and your system details (run the command "clinfo" at terminal and provide the output).

Thanks,

Dipak

0 Likes

Hi Daniel

Reviving the thread.  Do you get the same error with the latest drivers?  If yes, can you send us your sample project along with your system details?

0 Likes

After I managed to work around the problem I haven't had time to revisit it. I believe it did occur with the latest drivers but unfortunately I can't send you the project. Once I get some spare time I will try to work on it again.

0 Likes

Ok, in that case, I'll close this thread.  If you run into this problem later, you can start a new thread.

0 Likes