Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gideonlee
Journeyman III

clBuildProgram performance and limits?

Problem with clBuildProgram

I am trying to get a relative large function library to work on ATI Stream SDK.  I noticed that the time it takes for clBuildProgram to complete seems to grow very rapidly as I increase the code size.  At around 4000 lines, it already takes a minute or so on my AMD-x4/965.  (My video card is a 5870 from Sapphire.) But if it gets about 5000 lines, I waited 5 minutes and it still hasn't come back. 

I suspect the compilation part is probably done. If I deliberately introduce a small error into the code, say address mismatch, it comes back almost immediately.

Is it a known linker performance problem that hopefully will be fixed in the future? Or am I running into some kind of hardware kernel size limitation?  I couldn't find any documentation on the maximum allowed size of kernel programs.  And there is of course not much of an API to find out.

0 Likes
2 Replies

GideonLee,
We are working on improving our compile time performance. If this is something you don't mind sharing, you can post your kernel to the message or you can email it to streamdeveloper@amd.com Re: Micah Villmow and I'll take a look at it.
0 Likes

Micah,

Thank you for offering to take a look.  The library we are developing is commercial in nature so I can't post it on this public forum.  I'll send it to you at the email address you provided.

0 Likes