cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

max07935
Journeyman III

Catalyst for 4000 series windows 8 NOW!!

It is unacceptable that do not support Windows 8 in the series 4000, 3000 and 2000.

NVIDIA GPU´s supports built until 2004.

My next
GPU will be a NVIDIA. And if you ask me that what gpu recommended saying: NVIDIA

Sorry for my english

0 Likes
4 Replies
settle
Challenger

While I understand your desire for support for the 4000 series, Windows 8 is still months away from being officially released so I'm a little more understanding and patient with AMD until then.

0 Likes

It's official that there will be no catalyst for series 4000, 3000 and 2000 in Windows 8.
Otherwise I would not say this.

I wasn't aware of that, so I searched and found this from http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalyst126legacyproducts.aspx:

Note: The In-the-box AMD graphics driver that is included with Windows® 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 4000, 3000, and 2000 series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. Please also note there will be no support for AMD PowerXpress™ feature on the mobility variants. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later), and will not support the AMD Radeon HD 4000, HD 3000, and HD 2000 series.

So it seems to me that is/will be support for those older devices in Windows 8, AMD just provides it indirectly through Microsoft rather than as a download on AMD's website.  That kind of driver support is more familiar to Mac OS users.

Does the driver distributed via Microsoft Windows 8 include the full acceleration and OpenGL support that was available in the Catalyst drivers? Can users expect the same performance with the Windows 8 driver as they got from the drivers distributed by AMD directly?

0 Likes