cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

captian-n
Adept II

Catalyst 12.4 (8.96) - MultiGPU slow core clock with full load on second adapter

This issue I have already reported for the beta of 12.4 before a month in that post "12.3 RC 8.95 - BSOD with multiple device - multiple context - multiple threads". The second disabled adapter (without monitor, no crossfire) does not increase the core - and memory clock under full OpenCL load.

(see screenshot GPU-Z). This slows done the complete program, because the first GPU have to wait for the second. With old drivers (11.11) and HD 6970 this does not appear. Now I want to use the HD7950/7970 and wait for the first stable MultiGPU OpenCL driver since release of the GPU. The inofficial beta 8.97 is also affected by this issue. I hope it would by solved for the next release. If there is solution with that I can increase the the clock speed with some lines of code I would see this also as a solution. Thanks in advance.

GPU_Z_CoreClock.gif

0 Likes
1 Solution
captian-n
Adept II

With the 12.6 Hotfix Driver 8.981.2 the first Driver which support OpenCL on more than one HD7900 card correctly is released. It has some issues with down clocking of some cards if no load is there, but that no matter for me. All 5 cards running with full speed and after several runs and restarts no error appears. Hopefully the certified driver of this version is released soon. I also tested the leaked driver version 9.00.0 this version works only correctly until 4 graphic cards are installed the fifth one is not recognized correctly, so I have some crashes of my program. The fifth one is shown with a yellow exclamation mark in the Windows device manager, also after some reinstall tries of the driver. With 4 cards it runs stable and little bit faster than the 8.981.2 version. Also the down clocking for cards with no load is correctly. Support for up to 8 graphic cards would be nice I tested it with Catalyst 11.11 and HD6970 only 6 of cards are correct recognized by driver. I Iooking forward that in the next releases the support for up to 8 graphic cards is added.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
drallan
Challenger

Hi,

For what it is worth, I have had the same set of problems also with a multiple 7970 system.

All 8.96 versions and the recent 8.97 version have the same clock issue (in my box).

I tried setting the clock with several  overclocking tools but none of them had any effect.

0 Likes
captian-n
Adept II

I just want to bring up the theme again. May be there are new cognition's or new person read this thread.

0 Likes
captian-n
Adept II

This BUG is still alive in the new Beta of Catalyst 12.6. I have tested it today with fresh WIN 7 x64 Ult installation with 2x7950 and later for cross check with 2x6950. I reported this BUG over two month ago here and it seems AMD is not willing to answer me about this issue or to solve it. With 11.x Catalyst generation and 6950/6970 GPUs everthing was working fine, so I know it is possible to solve it. 

0 Likes
drallan
Challenger

Same here, as yet unable to upgrade past driver version 8.93.

All drivers from 8.96 to 8.98 have this problem. 8.95 does not but had other issues.

I wonder about gamers using 7970 crossfire setups, if they have similar problems or not.

Is there a better place to report this issue to get the attention of the proper people?

Having installed so many drivers though, there is one thing I do know for certain, ORCS MUST DIE.

drallan

0 Likes

Hi drallan,

I reported this issue now on this additional places may be that helps.

http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/global-technical-support.aspx

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EBB

0 Likes

Hi captian-n,

Great, I will do the same. I suspect the problem is more of a driver problem than an opencl problem.

I also looked through the gaming world. There are occasional reports of crossfire 2X 7970 setups running at the same speed as a single 7970, don't know if it's related though.

drallan.

0 Likes
captian-n
Adept II

With the 12.6 Hotfix Driver 8.981.2 the first Driver which support OpenCL on more than one HD7900 card correctly is released. It has some issues with down clocking of some cards if no load is there, but that no matter for me. All 5 cards running with full speed and after several runs and restarts no error appears. Hopefully the certified driver of this version is released soon. I also tested the leaked driver version 9.00.0 this version works only correctly until 4 graphic cards are installed the fifth one is not recognized correctly, so I have some crashes of my program. The fifth one is shown with a yellow exclamation mark in the Windows device manager, also after some reinstall tries of the driver. With 4 cards it runs stable and little bit faster than the 8.981.2 version. Also the down clocking for cards with no load is correctly. Support for up to 8 graphic cards would be nice I tested it with Catalyst 11.11 and HD6970 only 6 of cards are correct recognized by driver. I Iooking forward that in the next releases the support for up to 8 graphic cards is added.

captian-n,

Really nice work. I've installed the 9.00.0 driver and it works fine on my 3 cards.

I think your reports to global technical support may have done the trick.

Allan